Find
Notify
Tools

Most accurate, Bulk, .224 bullet ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of badgerrr
posted
I sure like the accuracy I have been getting with Nosler Ballistic tips. Sure don't like paying for 'em though.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a cheaper bullet. I'm thinking of both 40gr and 55gr. Will be running them thru the NEF single shot .223.

Is that bulk Remington 55gr Power Lokt I see advertised at Midway any good?

Posts: 107 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
<cougarhunting>
posted
I used to have a 22-250 and the remington core lokt was the bullet i liked the best for accuracy and they held together better than some of the other brands of lead I tried good luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found the Remington 55g psp very accurate, but after using up a couple of hundred I switched to their 55g HPPL. It is just as accurate and much more explosive. They tend to stop coyotes faster but can make a mess if you hit a big bone.

Posts: 125 | Location: SW Manitoba Canada | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey badgerrr, You are in luck, yes there is a typically accurate, low cost, bulk bullet - the Remington "PLated Hollow Point(PLHP)".

Remington has 3 sizes, a 50gr and a 55gr PLHP(as hawky mentioned) in 0.224" and an 80gr PLHP in 0.243". These are made just like the Speer Uni-Cor bullets. A Lead Core is formed and then the jacket is "Plated" onto the Lead. Since it is significantly easier and quicker to accurately form the Lead Core than a jacketed bullet, the PLHPs can be made at less cost.

In my 223Rem, the good old 50gr B-Tips are what I reach for when it is time to shoot to see who buys the BBQ supper. But, the 50gr Rem PLHP is my normal carry bullet and easily shoots 5s-6s when my concentration is up.

Used some of the 50gr Rem PLHPs for part of a Neck Sizing vs. Partial-Full Length Resizing test just this past year. No problem to get 18 shot groups of 1.0". That is a very tough test and is as much a reflection on the shooter's ability as it is the rifle/load combination.

Try `em, you'll like `em!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I've never been able to find a bullet that shoots better than the bulk hornady 55's I get from Midsouth. I do have some Starke's on order (if they EVER get here....) I have high hopes for. FWIW, Dutch. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
No problem to get 18 shot groups of 1.0". That is a very tough test and is as much a reflection on the shooter's ability as it is the rifle/load combination.

So what was the shot 19 of the 20 round group like then [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck in my .223 with the Speer 50gr TNT. Good, consistent accuracy with explosive terminal effect. Not as cheap as the Remington, but better than the Nosler. Still shoot Noslers in my Swift and 22-250 though.

Posts: 152 | Location: Carlisle. PA | Registered: 25 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had very poor luck with both Winchester and Remington 55 gr SP's -- inconsistent location of the cannelure on both and with the Remingtons highly variable noses.

The Speer TNT comes in a bulk package that is quite a bit more economical than the Nosler BT's. It is my very best bullet in a .222 and is devilishly expansive on light varmints.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:
So what was the shot 19 of the 20 round group like then [Wink] [Big Grin]

Hey 1894, Good question. I only have 18 cases in each of those two selected Lots. One set of 18 was Neck Sized and the other 18 case set was P-FLRed.

[ 01-16-2003, 03:24: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had very good luck with the 55 gr Hornady SP bulk bullets .5 in groups in both my 22-250's.

Posts: 47 | Location: Montana | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Sierra 52 gr. HPBT moly- 500 rds per box $68.68 (Midway USA)
.230 inch five shot group from my .223 Tikka.

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Karoo>
posted
I have come accross a gentlemen here in South Africa that presses culling bullets for various calibres. Bullets are moly-coated and in 55gr config for .224 calibre. These bullets are widely used by our venison-processing companies who takes anything up to 150 Springbuck per hunter/day in the hunting season. Only headshots, though, as they pay for wasted meat on a per kilogram basis - I therefore can not comment on the ballistic performance. Suffice to say that they are more than capable of sub-MOA in my .223 Tikka Stainless. Price is approx $85/1000 excluding postage to the US.

CK: Your groupings are impressive! How far are you off the lands and what does the Chrony say? I assume you are chasing with 26,6gr of W768?

one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
The 45 grain Win HP shoots very well out of my NEF .223. Its almost a waste of time trying to get something to shoot better that the factory load that comes in a 40 round Varmint pack for $12....but of course I'll continue to work at it. They claim 3600fps but i havent shot any through my chrony yet.
Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my vote is for the remington 50gr PLHP my shooting buddy and I came accrossed a deal on a bulk box of these bullets and bought them we have shot them in 4 different rifles now and the shoot great and for the cost the were a great value. the guns were a 220 swift a 222mag a 223, and a 22=250 all shot them under .6

Posts: 61 | Location: Missoula,Mt | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of badgerrr
posted Hide Post
Thanx Folks,

Last night, from what I saw here, I dropped by Midsouth and ordered some 55grPLHC, 55grTNT, 50grPLHC, and threw in a box of 55grHornadySX.

There's some testing in my future........ [Eek!]

Posts: 107 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
badgerr, please let us know what results you get.

Posts: 18 | Location: Florida | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote