New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handgun Powders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am very new to reloading for handgun and need guidance. All my reloading has been for rifle or my Contender with rifle calibers.
I am now loading for .41 mag. and .45 LC. So far I am useing Bullseye and AA #5 and am not happy with how dirty they burn.
I have read Blue Dot burns very clean but don't see much data for these two cals. useing that powder. So far I used light charges with the AA #5 and plan to go work up closer to max to see if it burns better.
I am shooting 210 grain jacketed bullets from the .41 and 230 grain lead from the .45.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
You must be using light loads. Bullseye is a fast powder used in target loads and yes it is dirty. AA#5 is about like Unique and its dirty too at low pressure levels. In the .41mag. Blue Dot works good as do 2400, W296, AA#9. I don't load for the 45LC but Red Dot is supposed to work well with 250 cast bullets. Slower powders at higher pressures are cleaner with jacketed. Cast bullets with about powder are on the dirty side but cheap and accurate. FWIW Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry too much about handgun powders burning "dirty". One swab with a patch will take care of that.

Unique is an extremely versatile handgun (as well as shotgun) powder, which can be used from midrange target loads to fairly stiff magnum loads. It's hard to beat as an all-around powder for virtually any handgun cartridge you load (maximum performance loads excepted).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
Some of the dirt you see may be from combusting the bullet lube on cast bullets. When I switched to copper clad, cleaning got a whole lot easier.

I like Winchester 231 and Hogdon HP 38

One of Us
posted Hide Post
El V., I think the powders you name are a little too fast for good results in the 41 Mag and 45 Colt. 2400 is my favorite for both, but Blue Dot will work good as well.

For my money 2400 is to pistols what 4831 is to many rifles.

Anywhere from 17 grains of 2400 on up with a 215 gr bullet is good with a .41. [Smile]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alliant 2400 is a good powder, but better suited to .357 Magnum sized cases in my opinion. The only powders to use (again, my opinion) in the .45 Colt for maximum velocities and lowest pressure is W296/H110. <-- They are identical powders.

[ 07-10-2002, 18:46: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Don, you might want to look at this.
http://www.sixgunner.com/paco/pprofile5.htm

Posts: 172 | Location: Danville, VA, USA | Registered: 08 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twillis:
Hi Don, you might want to look at this.
http://www.sixgunner.com/paco/pprofile5.htm

Good Post, Twillis, thanks for the update.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shark Bait:
Alliant 2400 is a good powder, but better suited to .357 Magnum sized cases in my opinion. The only powders to use (again, my opinion) in the .45 Colt for maximum velocities and lowest pressure is W296/H110. <-- They are identical powders.

Shark, I've seen some dramatic results with W296 and H110...both good and bad. In fact, I've seen a .41 magnum wrecked by a slightly reduced load of H110. Winchester warns NOT to reduce loads of
W-296. Hogdon, I do not believe warns of the hazards of reducing H-110. I had not heard they were the same powders, but based on my experience I can tell you they are sensitive to reduced loads. For this reason, I really don't recommend them and do NOT use them. I don't like powders with squirrely characteristics.

As for 2400, I think you seriously under-estimate this powder. I rank it as one of the BEST for any and all large pistol cartridges, small rifle cartridges AND it is also superb as reduced charge in large rifle cartridges with cast bullets. 2400 is just really one of the great all around powders and there probably should be a few pounds of it on everyone's shelf.

I load my .41 Mag. exclusively with 2400 and Blue Dot and get excellent results with both. [Smile]

You are probably right about W296 being the powder for maximum loads in 45 Colt. I have not loaded extensively for this cartridge. Again my only concern is with reduced charges. The 45 Colt case is not especially strong and the cartridge does not take well to lots of pressure in most guns because of this. For this reason I'm much more comfortable with 2400, a powder that one can load up or down with dependable results. But this is Jacobite's call as we have presented both sides of the issue. [Smile]

[ 07-10-2002, 20:34: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I pretty much use Unique and 2400 for my 454 loads. I think you'll find these very useful in 45LC. I use magnum and regular primers with both, depending on what I want to achieve. Unique is to the 454 what Bullseye is to the 38spl, IMO.

I've tried Blue Dot, but it doesn't seem to offer anything that these two can't achieve. Now, in the 10mm, Blue Dot seems to be a better choice than 2400.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
[QUOTE]Shark, I've seen some dramatic results with W296 and H110...both good and bad. In fact, I've seen a .41 magnum wrecked by a slightly reduced load of H110. Winchester warns NOT to reduce loads of
W-296. Hogdon, I do not believe warns of the hazards of reducing H-110. [Smile]

PECOS - You are right. You should never reduce H110 or 296 loads from printed data. They are meant to be full bore Magnum powders providing the highest velocities. They are not for target loads.

quote:
I had not heard they were the same powders, but based on my experience I can tell you they are sensitive to reduced loads. For this reason, I really don't recommend them and do NOT use them. I don't like powders with squirrely characteristics.

PECOS - Yes, they are identical powders made by the same manufacturer. I wouldn't say they are squirrley powders, I have been using them both for several years without any kind of pressure excurssions. You just have to realize that they are for full house loads, not target fodder.

quote:
As for 2400, I think you seriously under-estimate this powder. I rank it as one of the BEST for any and all large pistol cartridges, small rifle cartridges AND it is also superb as reduced charge in large rifle cartridges with cast bullets. 2400 is just really one of the great all around powders and there probably should be a few pounds of it on everyone's shelf. [Smile]

PECOS - I agree totall that 2400 is an awesome powder. I use is extensively in my .357 Magnum for full house loads. However, in the .44Mag and .45 Colt it cannot match the velocities of H110 and W296. It's just physically impossible.

quote:
The 45 Colt case is not especially strong and the cartridge does not take well to lots of pressure in most guns because of this.

PECOS- Contrary to popular belief, the .45 Colt cartridge/case is every bit as strong as the .44 Mag cartridge. This is an old wives tale left over from the days of balloon head cartridges.

quote:
For this reason I'm much more comfortable with 2400, a powder that one can load up or down with dependable results. But this is Jacobite's call as we have presented both sides of the issue.

PECOS - That's what makes the world go round right? [Smile] As for the .357 mag I will stick to the wonderful 2400 for full power loads. As for the .44 Mag and .45 Colt , I will stick with W296 and H110 until something even better comes along. Come to think of it I haven't tried Lil Gun Yet. [Big Grin]

Good Shooting Pecos.
Good Luck Jacobite, Let us know what happens!

[ 07-11-2002, 02:20: Message edited by: Shark Bait ]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand powders designed for shotguns - like Blue Dot - are not tested for stability past the level of shotgun ammo - 18-20,000 psi.
Apparently there have been some cases, in a few lots of such powders, which did produce unusually high pressures, and even wrecked guns.
Therefore I'm sticking to powders that are designed for the presures I'm loading. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Viejo:

I like Winchester 231 and Hogdon HP 38

Both of these are also supposed to be the same powder as well.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
THE traditional powder for accuracy and overall good results with STANDARD-pressure .45 Colt loads has always been Unique. However, it is "flaky" powder that does not meter well, and I end up having to weight it. 2400 has always given me good performance in magnum pistol loads, but if used in slightly reduced charges, leaves unburned powder in the barrel and cylinder. I have had problems getting H110 and WW 296 to burn clean also. These require charges at max. levels, and very heavy crimp to give consistent velocities. There is data available for Blue Dot, Green Dot, and Red Dot for use in handguns. Alliant can furnish this info. I have also found Hodgdon HS6 to give good performance at medium popwer levels in the .45 Colt and .45 ACP.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jacobite. For some great reading on revolvers and associated powders check out http://www.sixguns.com/ and http://www.sixgunner.com/.
[Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have any of you ever experimented with Reloader 7 in pistol cartridges?

I have some ideas I want to play with some day, for 454 casull and for 45 win mag.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Reloader 7 in the .45-70. Have never tried it in handgun cartridges. I always thought it was too slow for that application.

quote:
Originally posted by ScottB:
Have any of you ever experimented with Reloader 7 in pistol cartridges?

I have some ideas I want to play with some day, for 454 casull and for 45 win mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not used them in handgun loads, but the Hodgdon Clays powders -- especially Clays -- are noted for being exceptionally clean-burning in shotgun loads. For those who know, does this also hold true when they are used in handguns?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. So far the Blue Dot is working well in the .41. I think I will get some 2400 and try it next. I plan to burn the AA #5 up in the .45 for now. It is doing o.k. now that I upped the load. Still not very happy with it. I do plan to try the Blue Dot in it also.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
<gruvinbass>
posted
LE270,
FWIW, I use Universal Clays a good deal, and yes, it's cleaner burning. Cleaner than Unique, anyway, although I don't know that I'd call it exceptionally clean.

Chad