Find
Notify
Tools

Marquart neck turning tool
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

Getting ready to take the plunge on neck turning. I purchased a used Marquart tool and have a couple of questions.

What if your sizing die doesn't get the inside neck diameter just perfect for the mandrel? I know Sinclair and others sell sizing mandrels but how do I know they're right size for the Marquart mandrel?

Does anyone know who sells the Marquart tool and accessories? A google search came up short...

Thanks

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I believe they are no longer made. Went out of business. About 15 year ago they were considered the Cadillac of this type of tool. Believe they were made in Austin, Texas. Mike your mandrel. You need an expander mandrel .001" larger than what you have. The guys at Sinclair may be able to help you. I have a feeling they may be the successors to Marquart, but even if they are not, they will likely be able to direct you. At least Bill Gravat will know, if not one of the guys on the phones. Their expander with one of their mandrels would probably work if you can determine the exact diameter of yours.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to go over to benchrest central.com as some of those guys might have extra mandrel and parts. Even if you use a neck die/fl sizer you still have to use a mandel to open the neck to the proper dia and Sinclair sells an oversize mandrel plus the standard ones. K&M also sell mandrels kind of like there best has a screw on top that hold it in were as Sinclairs has a set screw. I use Imperial wax on the mandrel when turning neck keeps things from binding up. You also need some type of Micrometer to measure neck thickness found the one with the ball works best for necks. The neck turner is cheap it's all the other stuff that adds up. Need a spark plug gapper allow you to set cutting depth on tool. Well good luck

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think they were made in arizona,i have one,and use the k&m expander/mandrel,and the k & m neck turner pilot(will fit) with mine.

Posts: 339 | Location: tx | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Bill Marquart did not go out of business. He had the nerve to die and leave us without some of his wonderful tools. He was in Prescott, AZ. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks WTB

I have a Marquart that belonged to my Dad, he passed away 9 years ago. Been looking for a source for parts. Will try the K&M.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WTB,

Just to clarify, the K & M mandrels fit the Marquart tool? That's really good news as I've heard their combo carbide mandrel/reamer is the cat's meow...

R

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
K&M neck turner pilot along with the K & M experdion(sp.)with the mandrel for the cal. you are turning ,what i use on my marquart.

Posts: 339 | Location: tx | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It was PAUL Marquart, not Bill. In the 60's he was in partnership with Bill Atkinson, who now is one of Ruger's higher honchos. Their shop was in Prescott, AZ, and Bill is still there. The old "A&M Barrel Company" was Atkinson & Marquart.

Before Paul died of "fuzzy-cell leukemia", he sold all his equipment to a fellow by the name of Morrison, who is located IIRC near Hereford, AZ (SE of Tucson). You can probably "Google" the company up now under its new name....Morrison Precision. (Used to be Marquart Precision.) The company's principal business was and still is making/fitting barrels, so delivery on custom turning tool pilots is slow. In fact it got a LOT slower when Morrison took over. But, he has made me a couple, so I believe they are still making tools, cutters, and tool pilots.

Paul was one of my very best friends for more than 15 years, and I still miss him dearly.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

I stand corrected. It was Paul Marquart and Bill Atkinson. I shoot trap with Bill once in a while and must have had him on my mind when I wrote that earlier response. I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Marquart. He was gone before I moved here. I did manage to get my hands on two A&M barrels recently. One became a 308 Ackley and the other is still a 30 cal. 1 in 10 blank. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote