Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please Tell Me About GMX Bullets
 Login/Join

posted
Have never tried them and do not know anyone who uses them.
So how well do they work on game AND how accurate do they shoot in your rifles?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried them ONCE in my 458 Lott, the 500gr GMX factory loaded stuff.
Shot an old horse in the head, bullet expanded not a coin, deviated and wound up in the shoulder to the right of aim. The recovered bullet was expanded right down to the base. Was not impressed with them at all and gave them away.

Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 165 gr GMX in my 300 H&H on Plains game, and I thought they worked well,and accuracy was fine too.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tried them ONCE in my 458 Lott, the 500gr GMX factory loaded stuff.
Shot an old horse in the head, bullet expanded not a coin, deviated and wound up in the shoulder to the right of aim. The recovered bullet was expanded right down to the base. Was not impressed with them at all and gave them away.

Cheers.

When did Hornady load the GMX bullet in the 458 Lott?

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I bought the rifle in 2012 and the ammo came with the gun, that was the deal they ran.
In fact, I bought 3 rifles, all CZ550 Safari Classics, one in 458 Lott and 2 in 458WM. All came with a box of Hornady factory GMX bullets. The 4th rifle I bought was a CZ550 custom shop in 505 Gibbs, it didn’t come with a box of ammo however.

Cheers.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure they GMX and not the DGX which is Hornadys dangerous game expanding bullet for the big bores?

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Me personally, I have never had good luck with Hornady bullets. I have always gotten better accuracy with Nosler, Berger, or Sierra. My 22-250 would not shoot any of them well and neither would a 243 I had. No experience with the GMX itself. I have only tried ELDX, A-tips, and Interlocks.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have used 150 gr GMX in 30-06 on a elk whit great results.

I also used several 130 gr GMX bullets in my 270 winchester on deer, antelope and elk. I only recovered one and it looked perfect.

Accuracy wise the GMX is decent. IME, performance on game is outstanding.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 130 grain in a 270 win is a favorite of mine, very accurate and good performance on game.

Posts: 12 | Location: canada | Registered: 26 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
My sons 280 shoots the 139 GMX real well with my handloads and same bullet in factory Hornady isn't bad either.
He shot 1 Mule Deer buck with it at 325 yards and it worked perfect. Entered as a mid high shoulder shot exited the same on the other side and broke everything in between, quick work.
Not much experience with that bullet but from what I saw I think its fine, would not hesitate to have him use it on Elk.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A retired Wisconsin Wildlife Biologist and a retired Technician did some testing with TSX/TTSXs vs GMXs. Funded by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Their results might be of some interest to you.

They tested bullets in 270 Winchester and 308. Both the GMX and TSX/TTSX penetrated to similar depths and the Barnes left larger exit holes. (If the link below doesn't work for you, search the internet for "How Good are Copper Bullets Really?" it will pop up)

http://huntingwithnonlead.org/...20Bullet%20Study.pdf

Posts: 452 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sep

Thanks for that. Interesting reading.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TJAY:
sep

Thanks for that. Interesting reading.

Yep, +1.

I tried the GMX bullets when they first came out and just couldn't find the accuracy that I was getting with the Barnes bullets.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
Sep
Great read TKS

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sep, Thanks for the great research article. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
In 2010 I loaded 40 rounds of .308 Winchester using 165 gr GMX for a Maine bear hunt. Over the next few years I used the remaining rounds on Texas and Montana hunts.
Performed exactly as I wanted on black bear.
They also worked great on mule deer.
Not quite as well on pronghorn.
Punched straight through like a pencil on coyotes.
The caliber, weight and velocity just need to be matched up for the game you're using them on.

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that 99% of todays new bullets all work well enough, its been so long and so much game shot without a single mishap I have to say Kidos to our bullet makers, all....Wasn't like that at all when I was hunting up into adulthood or there abouts I guess, they gave up on flint and went to lead and copper, worked out the bugs and all has been well ever since..But anything made by man can go tits up for sure, but rarely is allowable.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote