Find
Notify
Tools

8mm Turk powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Just a little heads up BOOMNot many years ago I bought something like 4800 rounds of 8mm Turk surplus ammo. In all six of my 8mm rifles the ammo appeared to be a little on the hot side.

On pulling bullets I found they had 44 grains of flake powder similar in apearance to German loaded ammo. Roll Eyes
The first thing was to reload the cartridges with 40 grains of the same powder.This seemed to take care of the hot ammo problem.

It looked like the burning rate of the flake powder was near that of 4198. popcorn
After pulling more bullets a lot more powder was aquired and I started experimenting with other cartridges. After about three years off and on of screwing around with this powder the results show that is a great fertilizer. the accuracy is inconsistant along with pressure indications. Velocity spreads are all over the place and with what you think are MILD loads every now and than a primer pops.

To a large extent German and South American surplus ammo powder yielded the same results. Frowner

Really not worth the trouble unless you have a nice rose garden. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got about 1500rds of that stuff. I'm gonna burn it all up in a 24/47, screw the roses. Maybe I'll see if I can burn the barrel up while I'm at it and increase my carbon footprint at the same time. BOOM

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote