THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Pressure when using normal rounds in AI chamber?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pressure when using normal rounds in AI chamber?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
I wonder how pressure is affected when using normal rounds in AI chambering. The case ought to expande to fil the chamber. dosen't that mean lower pressur and velocity?
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it does. One factor is that it takes energy to form the case to the larger chamber.

I have fired quite a bit of nice military rounds out of a 30-06 with a proper cut improved chamber. It shoots very well and it's no problem at all. Of course the bullets hit lower on the target than rounds fired from the fire formed brass.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hi s99
Thanks for reply well it would be even better if you could tel me avrage velocity loose, if you have some data on it.
regards
danny

<eldeguello>
posted
Danny, my experience has been that you lose between 200 and 300 FPS in blowing out a case to the improved form when using a standard factory load. Thjis of course may varu a little between bore diameters and case sizes, but is a ballpark figure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi eldeguello
Thanks for the answer, it would be a lot of velocity loose for a 3030 round as this round is not realy fast one.
danny

<eldeguello>
posted
Right! But the original .30/30 load of 1895, the one on which this cartridge made its' early reputation of being better than the big, slow, black-popwder rounds, fired a 165-grain bullet at around 1950 FPS, and I don't think yours would be too much slower than that if you fired a 170-grain factory load in an improved chamber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
in my savage 340 i can get only 2070 fps as the best with 170 grains that minus 200-300 fps it would be a great loose
danny

<eldeguello>
posted
I see!! I have a load for the 7.62X39mm that uses a Speer 180-grain roundnose. It workls OK in my SKS, was alright in a Mini-30 I thankfully got rid of, and shoots nice in my CZ 527 carbine. MV of this load is 1975+ FPS! I think it is as good as a .30/30.