Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

free bore how much??
 Login/Join

posted
How much free bore does most rifle get???? Whats to much back and whats to close.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Anthony, that's a question that's generate much heated discussion. Many people get excellent accuracy from Weatherby rifles that have a free run of about 3/8" from the bullet's starting position till it encounters the rifling. Others insist the bullet needs to be seated touching the rifling origin. There's no general specification that'll work in every rifle with every load; the best distance has to be determined by experiment.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both and I have decided accuracy has everything to do with the barrel and the throat makes little difference..

All Brno 21 an 22s have extremely long throats and I have NEVER seen nor heard of one that will not shoot very well...they even shoot light bullets that have to take a terrible jump and they shoot them accurately, my 7x57 will shoot 1" or better sometimes..

I talking at least for hunting rifles, not benchrest where a thousands counts....I also have short throated guns that shoot..

I consider 1" guns as accurate rifles, many claim that consistant 1" guns are extremely rare but I have seen many 1" guns and most of mine will shoot one inch consistently and I'll back that up with cash and have several times. I think a gun should shoot 1" groups, period!, end of story!.....however I have sold a lot of guns because they did not shoot one inch...I keep the good ones, but I recently sold a true 1/2" gun, a pre 64 M-70 in 270 cal. to Richard S who posts here on ocassion....He has shot it more than I and told me it shoots 1/2" with all weights and loads he has tried, probably should have kept that one, but I don't shoot anything small enough to justify a .270 these days, other than deer and I shoot them with my 25-35 Win. because I just like to hunt with that little Win. 94......

My best luck has definatly been with Lothar Walther barrels., they all seem to shoot an inch or better.

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote