New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading for 300 Savage
 Login/Join

posted
Howdy,

Does anyone have experience loading 300 Savage cartridges for a Model 99? If so, have you had any problems with just full-length resizing? Or do you think a small base sizing die is necessary for smooth functioning in the Savage Model 99 rifle?

Is there any problem with seating bullets in that short neck? I'd be loading 150-gr. and 180-gr. bullets.

Do you prefer Remington or Winchester brass?

What have you found to be a good powder and load?

Thanks for any info.

Xzec.

Posts: 5 | Location: Maine | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't need a small base die for most 300 savage applications, I use RCBS dies for my 99 and my contender and I have nothing but great results. My 99 with redfield peep is a 2 inch shooter at 100 yards.

regards,
graycg

Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they
become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch
your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it
becomes your destiny.

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mainaic, I've had a good number of M99s in various calibers. You can use Standard Full Length Dies to load them, but Neck Sizing will not work well due to "Case Stretch". No need for Small Base Dies as graycg mentioned.

The Case Stretch is a result of the Action flexing slightly and the rear lock-up design for the bolt. Works fairly well at 300Sav Pressures, but becomes very noticable when chambered for more intense cartridges, or when loading too hot.

Due to this issue, you need to keep a very close watch for Casehead Separations. The old bent wire Feeler trick to reach inside the case and feel for the Incipient Casehead Separation should be done on each case after each firing. Depending on the strength of your Loads, Casehead Separations can occur on the third firing. Cut the end of the wire so it has a "Sharp Knife Edge" and then bend it 90deg so the Feeler is maybe 1/8" long. It will look like a very l-o-n-g "L". A paper clip works fine with a sharp edge and then bent.

I recommend you use 308Win or 7.62NATO "Military Cases" to form your 300Sav cases. They will need a good bit of trimming to get the length correct, but they will last much longer due to their increased thickness in the Pressure Ring area. And they are very inexpensive. A Lathe Style Trimmer is a good investment for this amount of trimming. I used a Lee Case Length Gauge/Trimmer for normal Trimming after the Initial Trimming was done on a Lathe Style Trimmer, but you can get by with just the Lathe Style.

I tried IMR-4320 with 150-165gr bullets and fount it performed a bit erratic as I approached a SAFE MAX. Perhaps in your rifle, it might not be a problem at all. But, I switched to IMR-4064 and had no such problems and increased accuracy. Most of my M99s would average about 1.5" after a bit of Load Development. The last 300Sav I had would typically shoot 1.25" groups with an occasional group or two under 1".

Fine old cartridge and a great old rifle - when kept at Pressures it was designed for.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Regular full-length dies.

For 150's:
Varget From 37.5 grains to 44.5 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

For 180's:
Varget From 34.3 grains to 41.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2 Primer

And I use Winchester brass.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Give Re-15 a try. Hello .308