Find
Notify
Tools

Go to powder for .375 H&H????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

What would you consider a "go-to" powder for the .375 H&H?

Of course this may somewhat depend on bullet weight, so, what powders would you consider the best for either 270 grain or 300 grain bullets?

Thanks in advance.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
That would be RL-15.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello 30 CMF,

I use and reload for a .375 from 20 years ago.
For this two bullet weight, if you want only one powder, I chose any of the 4350. By far. For the 300 grs and heavier, is the perfect powder.
For the 270 both the 4350 and R15 are great. For lighter than 270 grs bullets, R15 alone is the powder.
My experience.

Regards,

PH

One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
+1 on the RL 15. 74 gr RL 15 + 270 gr TSX will drive tacks in my rifle.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would be RL-15.

+2 thumb

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on bullets, I like both RL 15 and WW 760....but 67 gr. of IMR 4064 under 300 gr. Barnes TSX is unbeatable in my rifles.

Posts: 5891 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine doesn't much care for RL-15, but Varget has done very well.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
++ RL15 although the 375 H&H seems to do well on almost anything.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4064 and 4895 are the go to's for me, have always provided great accuracy with most all bullets I have used.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
760/414 will do whatever RE15 will do and at considerably less pressure. Or you can get another 50 to 75 fps at the same pressure. Without doubt, my new favorite is RE17 for 300 and heavier slugs. It beat 760, H4350, and Re15.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4350.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed:
Depending on bullets, I like both RL 15 and WW 760....but 67 gr. of IMR 4064 under 300 gr. Barnes TSX is unbeatable in my rifles.

67.5 grains of IMR4064 and the 300 grain TSX shoots like the Hammer of God in mine.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vihta N140 works well with Barnes TSX 300 grain bullets.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use VVN-160 for the Hornady 300 gr. RN's and an increased charge of the same VVN-160 for the very few Nosler 260 gr. AB's I load.

Did I mention VVN-160 was a good .375H&H powder?

Second place when supplies of VVN-160 are low is H-4350.

Have fun loading your .375H&H.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUK:
Vihta N140 works well with Barnes TSX 300 grain bullets.

It also works very well in my rifle for the 260 grain Nosler Accubond bullet.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat IMR-4350. I think there is even a short cut version now available, which would be even better. I have also used H-414/WW760 successfully.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always said RL15 or 4064 in mine, but a lot of guys swear by H414. It certainly works well in pretty much anything else.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
W760 and IMR4350

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For 300gr bullets I favour H4350 (not the IMR version) the best.
For 270gr to 250gr bullets R15 is the powder of my choice.
For 235 or lighter BL-C(2) really makes them move faster with lower pressure.

Stay tuned we just maybe on the horizon of a new era of powders, as a new generation of powder making chemical engineers decide to prove their worth and push the technology beyond what was ok for WWII. Powder companies had decades of resting on the laurels of those engineer that went into retirement long ago.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for R15.

Posts: 96 | Location: Arroyo Grande, Ca. | Registered: 09 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My "go to"powder for the .375 H&H is IMR or any other 4350 for any and every bullet weight.

First off, I don't care which powder gives the maximum velocity. I am not after absolute maximum velocity. I AM after relatively consistent velocity from lot to lot and make to make.

By not operating at red-hot-moma pressures, I can use the same charge (for a given bullet weight) of just about any lot or any brand of 4350 that I can lay my hands on.

Especially these days, that has turned out to be pretty handy. And, as there are numerous sources of 4350 out there, pretty much all over the world, I can usually find some at a pretty decent price from stores, major suppliers, friends, clearance sales, garage sales, even estate sales.

Works for me. YMMV.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A compressed load of H 4350, in Winchester brass with Winchester Large Rifle (NOT magnum) primers. With this I can get about 100 f.p.s. more velocity than most published loads for 270 and 300 grain bullets, and with excellent accuracy.

Note: This is Hodgdon 4350; NOT IMR 4350.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I really like ww760 for 300 gr bullets and RE15 for the 270gr.

AA4350 also gave me good results.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
H4350

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
H4350 which is the Australian AR2209 which is great for extreme temperatures.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote