Notify
Tools

RCBS hand primmer
 Login/Join

posted
Having problems getting small rifle primers to
seat. Primers seats to the bottom but there is a
curved line on top of primmer, like primmer rod
wasn't centered. Moved things around but still there. Large rifle works fine. Thinking it may be the small rifle primmer feed.
Anyone have this problem?

Posts: 19 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 28 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
on my RCBS primers, I have two, one just for small rifle, one just for large rifle primers. the same thing happens when I reef down all the way. the primer is actually seated before full compression on the handle, and the extra compression results in the indent.

If your primer is a few thousandths below the case rim, you do not need to squeeze further.

In the past, I have at times had to shim the rod to make it seat all the way, or stop shy of full compression to avoid the marks you mention.

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
RCBS hand primer tool rods should be loaded into the hand priming tool so that the flat side is facing up. There are 2 different ends on each rod....make sure the flat end faces up, the following was taken directly from the instructions:

MAKE SURE THE FLAT SURFACE ON THE PRIMER ROD IS UP AND THE
ROUNDED END IS DOWN. SEE PHOTO #4. IF THE ROD IS INSTALLED WITH THE ROUNDED
END UP, A PRIMER MAY DISCHARGE AS IT IS SEATED.

I think the marks you are seeing on the primer are indicating that you may not have the flat end of the rod facing up, but rather the round end, which could lead to a discharge as it is being seated.

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I tried a few rounds with lighter pressure,
that seemed to clean it up, Thanks!
Had the flat side up also.

Posts: 19 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 28 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
Good to know you got it figured!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the hand primer is the older one that uses shell holders go to the rcbs site and look for instructions. It tell you of problem with pre 1980 shell holders and different brands of shell holders. GL