New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS AMMOMASTER PROGRESSIVE PRESS
 Login/Join

posted
Hey Guys,

I just picked up a used RCBS Ammomaster Progressive press, with two shell plates, two sets of RCBS dies and a new Uniflow Powder measure. Press looks like it is in new condition. Guy I bought it from had tried reloading and decided it was easier to buy surplus ammo. I doubt if 50 rounds were loaded though it.

Was wondering if anyone is using this press? Anyone have any opinions about it? Any quirks I should be looking for or should expect? What are the most common problems with them?

I tried looking for this press on all the on-line auction sites to compare prices, etc... but couldn't find one. I paid $200.00 for it, plus he threw in 400-500 new .45ACP brass, probably 300 Sierra/Hornady bullets, 200 9mm brass, and 150 bullets. Also included 2lbs of Bullseye powder.

What kind of a deal did I get? I know the single stage Ammo Master is listed in the RCBS catalog for a little over $200.00, but I figured the extra dies, powder measure and brass made it a decent buy. Any and all feedback, comments and opinions welcomed! Thanks.

Posts: 18 | Location: Newfoundland, Canada | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
you will buy a Dillion press some day and then you will be happy with your reloading press.

Posts: 28 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The basic press is still available. Both RCBS and Hornady sell it for reloading 50 BMG. You'd have to buy some parts to convert it to that but you could. In its capacity as a 50 BMG press it is barely adequate. Probably stronger than any other press readily available BUT it isn't quite up to loading this round.

As a progressive this machine was so-so. Not really awful. Not really great. Depends on just how mechanically inclined you are I suppose.

I owned one of these set up for the 50 BMG and another set up as a progressive. Nothing stellar here.

Posts: 116 | Location: flagstaff, arizona | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know there are a lot of Dillon fans out there, and I say more power to you. I've considered a Dillon, before, but have balked at the price. I'm posting from Canada, so if you buy direct from Dillon, with all the goodies, add in shipping, customs duty and taxes, you're looking at a $700-$800 press. There are a few gun shops stocking them up here, but their prices are correspondingly higher, since they have to make a profit too.

Also, I'm not a big fan of Aluminum frames, and from what I've read, the Dillons are aluminum. (Don't jump all over me if I'm wrong, that's what I've read.)

I have a friend, who isn't too impressed with Dillon's handling of Canadian customers in terms of service when he needed to replace a couple of broken parts.

Finally, I'm not all that crazy about the Baby Blue paint job. RCBS, Redding and even Lyman with the new gray/metallic paint look sharper in my opinion.

As for RCBS, they simply have the absolute best customer service in the business. I've picked up absolute junker lube-a-matics, rockchucker presses and die sets at flea markets, yard sales, etc... E-mailed RCBS with a want list of replacement parts, and they've shown up a week or two later in my mail box. Free of charge and free shipping! My offers to at least pay for shipping were politely refused, my tools were unconditionally guaranteed, regardless of abuse or neglect. That's a company that deserves respect and loyalty.

That said, if the right deal came along, I'd probably snap up a 550B or 650 in a heart beat, but I can't justify spending the price of a new gun, just so I can say I have a Dillon.

I'm pretty handy with tools, so I don't mind if I have to tinker a little. Besides, I'm not shooting 2000-3000 rounds a month, so I really don't need the high production/output of the Dillon. Up to this point I've been doing all of my reloading on my Rockchucker. I've just started reloading for the .300 RUM round, so I also figured the Ammomaster would come in handy here, since the extra height and option of manual indexing would make things easier for loading this longer case.

I guess, when you look at it, you have to do a cost-benefit analysis of every press on the market. I'm sure the Dillon excells at pistol rounds, but it doesn't have the flexibility to handle some of the larger rifle rounds. The RCBS Ammomaster, probably doesn't offer the ease of use/flexibility of the Dillon, but does offer some things the Dillon doesn't. At the same time, the RCBS press is hundreds of dollars less expensive than the Dillon, and offers better customer service, comparatively speaking. So, which is the better deal? I'll probably be loading a max of 500 rounds a month on this press, though this number might go higher with the warmer weather.

Bottom line - if I don't like it, I can always sell it, and more than likely get my money back...and put it toward a Dillon???

Posts: 18 | Location: Newfoundland, Canada | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Xman,
if you paid 200 us for it, you got a GREAL deal... 200c, then even better.

I wanted one, as I wanted to be able to do 416s, 500, and 470's on a progressive... IMHO, i believe this is the ONLY press than can do so.

for rifle rounds, this thing can't be beat, especially for 200 bucks. i don't believe anything but the pro 2000 can do 3.65 rounds, and nothing that i can afford can do 3.80 rounds

for pistol rounds, you will not be happy, I am sad to say.. the stroke is too long, the size too big, and it will be awkward.

try it out, see if you like it... If you don't, email me and i'll buy it from you, and you can get a hornady or lee setup. I have the article from gun test on low end progressives... they likes the lee... it's cheaper to get a seperate lee for 2 or 3 rounds, and have zero setup headachs.

jeffe

Posts: 39557 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote