New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Handloading for the .375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I second jpb, get a Lee collet die set. Zero case stretching, no lube and they load the most concentric ammo ever. I use cast bullets so my cases get reloadeda lot but all I have to do is neck anneal them every ten or so loadings.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of .375 H&H and hand load for all my rifles.....and there's absolutely nothing different about reloading the cases from a 6.5X55 or a .257 Roberts or a .300 Win Mag.....

Case life is irrelevant anyway.....how many prairie dogs are you going to shoot at.....and besides when one of them gets the nod for a hunting trip, I go to the bin and get twenty new cases for the ammo. It just seems reasonable that one spends $10 for virgin cases when he's spending $X,000 on a hunting trip.....

Get the .375 and don't botch the chamber with the AI insanity....there's very little value in it and it's just more money spent!!...If you really think you need more gun then buy more gun!!! The .416 Rem Mag is not at all expensive.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking about a .375 H&H for my next rifle; and I would be handloading for it. I have read that the brass stretches quite a lot (even if one does not bump the shoulder back on resizing) and that case life is limited. I suppose that the Ackley Improved version with the blown-out shoulder would enhance case life; but I am not sure that I want to go the AI route, since I doubt that I would need more velocity than the .375 H&H gives, and fireforming is a pain. I would appreciate hearing from any of you who reload for that caliber. What kind of case life do you get?

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the 375 H&H and recommend you get one. I have noticed That I need to trim after 2 firings. Case life is about 8 to 12 firings as I recall. I don't keep the best track of this like I should, so it is an estimate. I don't really feel case life is a problem or a big issue with the 375 HH. It sure would not stop me from getting one. I know you will be happy if you get one. I have a Model 70 but would recommend the CZ 550.

Posts: 45 | Location: Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Get a Lee neck sizing Collet Die! Best investment I made regarding my .375 H&H.

No lube needed, fast, and cases last forever (well, I have loaded some batches 20 times, and I have yet to lose a case anyway).

I run every last case through my rifle before going re-priming, but so far I have not needed to bump the shoulder back with my full length resizing die. Note that I am not loading very hot (no need to with such a big calibre!

I can also recommend the Lee collet crimp die too for the .375 -- cheap and works very well.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a cz .375 H&H and I really love the calibre....it is IMHO the best allround cartirdge in existance, a Big 30/06 It is fine to reload for.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I look forward to reloading for this caliber.

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I trim my cases after each firing. (they do stretch a little). I couldn't be bothered counting the number of reloads I get from a case, but I can tell you that the batch of 100 cases I bought in 1997 is still in service, although I am starting to get split necks now.

In my experience, the chamber dimensions have a lot to do with case life. The less you have to work your brass on each firing, the longer it should last.

It's a grand old calibre - I'm sure you'll love it.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote