Find
Notify
Tools

Moly Coating!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted
Don't want to get into discussion about positives and negatives of moly, I use them and I like them, but am careful on cleaning regime/not cleaning (always was when I didn't use moly coating too).

My question is that I would like to do my own coating, own a vibratory cleaner so would like to utilise this, don't really want to buy other bowls though for cleaning bullets and also applying moly, so would like to do this by washing and jars.

Question is don't think we have DAWN detergent in UK, what are its properties any substitutes?

Also can glass jars be used in vibratory cleaner with the moly/bullets and steel shot?

Would I be advised just to get another bowl to fit v/cleaner for the moly/bullets/shot??

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you get de-natured alcohol? It would take the swageing lube off the bullets real good. If you hand wash dishes, whatever you use for soap would also work.

As for containers, I use 500 count ibuprofen tablet bottles, with a couple onces of #2 steel shot and a half-teaspoon of of moly powder. The into the tumbler with 3/4 full of corn cob media. I can do30 120 grain 7mm bulets at a time. If I need more, I just add another bottle. The molly stays on my bullets quite well.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I use the lyman 2 bowl method. 1- superfine moly and ceramic media
2- corncob for the finish
I clean my bullets with lps contact cleaner.
evaporates and dries very quickly
Along with my midway tumbler, the lyman bowls fit inside
vibrate for 2 hrs in moly and 20min in corncob
very nice even coat. even when I have had to pull bullets the moly stays on the bullet
I tried the bottle steel shot method and my bullets looked like they had been pinged.
They had little pot marks all over?

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I, like hivelosity, use the Lyman system. It comes with two bowls and the ceramic media, and corncob media as well as the moly.

I have a Dillon tumbler, and the Lyman bowls fit right inside and work well. I have not had to worry about 'prepping' my bullets, the moly has stuck to all that I have tried including Barnes TSX's which some folks have mentioned having a tough time getting moly to stick to.

I rigged up a couple of cheap plastic tupperware bowls to seperate the ceramic media from the bullets after the first step of moly coating.

I highly recommend getting this system and keeping it seperate from your brass tumbling operations, the molying process is somewhat messy, and the Lyman seperate bowls make it very manageable. I think the ceramic media is a key to their system. I like it!

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, another option now!!!
Not familiar with the lyman procedure, haven't heard of this ceramic stage before, what is it please?
Thanks...

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nightwalker, the Lyman kit includes a ceramic media for tumbling with the moly powder to coat your bullets instead of a steel shot media. Their information and my experience say that the ceramic media does a better job of coating the bullets uniformly. The kit comes with the ceramic media, the superfine moly powder and some corn cob media.

The process is to tumble with the moly powder and ceramic media first to coat your bullets. Next you seperate your bullets from the ceramic media/moly powder, and tumble your bullets in the corn cob media, this is to remove excessive moly from your bullets and make them not such a mess to handle.

I just leave the ceramic media and moly powder mix in one of the 2 bowls the kit comes with, and the corncob media in the other--maybe that's pretty obvious--- I then rigged up a couple of bowls that I drilled holes into to seperate the bullets from the ceramic media or corn cob, since these steps leave moly residue on whatever you use to seperate the media from the bullets, and I didn't like using my brass seperator and having to clean it everytime after molying bullets.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote