New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Failsafe vs Nosler Accubonds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Stumbled across 34 140 gr Winchester Failsafe bullets, 270 cal, in my stash. Was planning on using 270 cal 140 gr Accubonds in my Model 70.

Anyone know how these two compare? I'd like to just load up for one and I have 100+ Accubonds so I'm probably looking to part with the Failsafes unless they are really good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The failsafes aren't made any more. Since you have only enough to maybe workup a load, I'd post them in the classifieds section and sell them to someone who wants to increase there stash.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load up a few and see if they shoot to the same poi...All i have tried shot perfect ..just the same as a nosler,I use a couple of the same weight as a going away shot/texas heart shot/ etc..to try and put a buck down cause they will penetrate and hold together,there a supertough bullet,I shot a doe in the neck with one and she dropped at the shot.I Usually load one or two for the second or third round in the magazine with a nosler partician for the first shot..Friend of mine shot a wild boar in the back of the head with one from a 7mag and took the whole back of the head/skull/brain off/looked like it had been hit with a mack truck m-80!...DRT..he wouldnt use anything else but that bullet..they are premium bullets for sure...Good luck! patriot

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the failsafes for years in my .270 and do not have a single complaint. Took elk, moose, black bear and deer and the bullets performed perfectly at all kinds of angles.
They will penetrate a deer from stem to stern or an elk or moose from most any angle. Never recovered a single one and always had a dead animal. Also, minimal meat damage and the most accurate bullet I have ever used in my .270.

I have used the 140 grain accubonds for the last 3 years and they shoot almost as accurately in my .270. However, I have not been pleased with their performance at closer ranges. Large entrance and sometimes multiple exit holes and considerable bloodshot and jelled meat. They worked well on an elk and a deer at ranges past 300 yards. They are super expansive at closer ranges and higher velocities. I guess that is why some call the "Accubombs". I will be trying other bullets such as the Nosler E-tip and the new Hornady bullet prior to next season.

I would stash the failsafes away somewhere safe just in case you need a bullet sometime that has guaranteed penetration.

Posts: 119 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 25 February 2007Reply With Quote