New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 Ruger No.1 Load Recommendations?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Lucked into an older (132 prefix) No.1-B last night, & am wondering if anyone has any pet load recommendations that they would be willing to share.

Former owner's father is deceased, but had a family load worked up w/ IMR4350 under Speer 120 Grand Slams. Note they were seated out about .030" or .040" past the cannelure. Might be a good place to start.

Got a 2 die RCBS set coming from the brother out of state, but was considering picking up a neck sizer as well.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you did good. You should like that Ruger Number One. I have only owned one, chambered in .338 Win Mag, but it was a great rifle.

For the 25-06 I have had the best luck when shooting bullets from 75 to 100 grains when using IMR 4831 or H 4350 powder. For this usage I recommend a standard large rifle primer.

For heavier bullets in the 115 to 120 grain range I have had best luck with IMR 7828 when sparked with a Fed 215M primer.

My all time favorite, I guess, is a Remington case, a Fed 210 primer, 54 grains of IMR 4831, and a 100 grain Nosler Partition. This is a max load so work up to it. This load is deadly on wild hogs. It kills them like lightning! I shot a 250 pound boar the other day with it and he never took a step, I am not sure he even kicked!

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R Flowers:
Sounds like you did good. You should like that Ruger Number One.....

RF =
Thanks for your input on this. I am a big fan of the #1. Got one of about the same vintage in 45-70, that shoots like a house on fire.

The older red pad models such as this, seem to have long throats - & seem to do better w/ heavier / longer bullets.

I will have a look at your recommended powders for sure. Have you tried the 7828 w/ a heavier Nosler Partition?

Again, thanks.

Regards - GCF

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good succes with both, the 115 Nosler Partition and the 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip when shooting IMR 7828.

Reloader 22 was a close second, but IMR 7828 gave the best groups with any number of heavy bullets. (115 Noslers, 120 Noslers, 117 Sierras, 120 Sierras, etc.)

For whatever reason, the 115 Ballistic Tip just seems to hammer wild hogs more dramatically than the 115 Partition. It has also worked quite well on several antelope for me.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
I own two 25/06's, and both shoot very good with the 117gr Serria, 50grs of IMR 4831, Rem case and a CCI 250 primer.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
75 grain Hornady V-Max
Rem. Brass
Rem. LR Primer
59.8 gr. VV N-160
3700+ fps
Bullets seated about .012" off the lands. Groups are .75"-1.00" at 200 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the 25-06 I have had the best luck when shooting bullets from 75 to 100 grains when using IMR 4831 or H 4350 powder. For this usage I recommend a standard large rifle primer.

For heavier bullets in the 115 to 120 grain range I have had best luck with IMR 7828 when sparked with a Fed 215M primer.

RF -
Just to make sure we are on the same page, your recommendation for 115 grain bullets (Nosler BT in this case), is IMR7828 ignited w/ a Fed 215M - Large Magnum Rifle Match primer.

I note that none of the manuals recommend a magnum primer for 25-06, although it makes sense to me, as the 7828 is a traditional magnum powder.

With the magnum primer, have you found the need to adjust your charge down from book recommended data?

For initial fire forming, I was considering IMR4831 w/ std Fed LR primers. Any further thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Regards - GCF

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canadian reloarder:
I own two 25/06's, and both shoot very good with the 117gr Serria, 50grs of IMR 4831, Rem case and a CCI 250 primer.

CR -
Have you found the Sierras hold up well on your jumbo Canadian game?

For the record, which of their 117 grain bullets do you prefer - & what rifle are you loading them for?

Regards - GCF

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slancey:
75 grain Hornady V-Max
Rem. Brass
Rem. LR Primer
59.8 gr. VV N-160
3700+ fps
Bullets seated about .012" off the lands. Groups are .75"-1.00" at 200 yards.

Slancey -
Sounds like a 1 hole rocket to me! What rifle are you loading for?

Also as I'm primarily interested in bullets in the 100 - 120 grain range, have you loaded any of the heavier offerings from our friends at Hornady? ;=]

Regards - GCF

one of us
posted Hide Post
GCF, in response to your question, no, I have not had to back off on the powder using the Fed 215M with IMR 7828.

I, in fact, shoot the max load of IMR 7828 under the 115 BT as listed in the Number 5 Nosler Manual. I get a little more velocity than they suggest, but guns vary in that regard.

My case life is good and I see no pressure problems whatsoever. I hunt hogs when it is darned hot around here and never have had a problem.

I think the magnum primer is a good deal with 7828, it is a pretty slow powder.

I use the standard Fed 210 in my other loads in the 25-06.

As for firemforming, I do not worry about that, I just load up what I want to hunt with and go for it. But, IMR 4831 and the Fed 210 primer are a great matchup in the 25-06.

R Flowers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
GCF, in response to your question, no, I have not had to back off on the powder using the Fed 215M with IMR 7828......

RF -
Thanks for the additional info. I'll post results here, as things progress.

Regards - GCF

<slancey>
posted
gcf,
My load works in my FN Mauser pictured at left. Barrel is 24" and the rifle weighs 9lbs.
I briefly tried the 100 gr. Hornady Spire Point. It shot around an inch or just under at 100 yards.
I also tried the 120 gr. Hollow Point from them. I really didn't develop the load like I have the 75 gr., so I can't comment.
I think a 25-06 will shoot any bullet well. The trick seems to be finding the powder your barrel likes.
My rifle did like the Speer 100 Hot-Core. You might try those.
Let us know how your tests go.