Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester AutoComp doesn't work for 45acp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I've about given up on AutoComp for use in the 45acp for two reasons:

1. Hodgdon's load data sucks - The pressure data is in CUP, which was all the rage 100yrs ago. You can't tell the suitability based on pressure/velocity. The data is very low pressure, much too low for AutoComp. You get erratic ignition, powder zombies and poor accuracy.

2. Hodgdon's attitude - Hodgdon doesn't intend to revamp their data to psi and they will continue to mislead reloaders into believing that AutoComp is suitable for low pressure rounds like 45acp.

I did finally get a decent load using AutoComp, but it is at a higher velocity than I wanted and is so far above the published data that I will not post it.

My recommendation is to pass on AutoComp for the 45acp unless you have the patience, experience, and equipment to work up a load - but don't bother asking Hodgdon for help. Hodgdon used to be very supportive - I wonder what has happened? Maybe it's just me - I didn't use mouthwash before emailing them Wink

Well, at least have an OK day Smiler

Posts: 242 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dla:
Well I've about given up on AutoComp for use in the 45acp for two reasons:

1. Hodgdon's load data sucks - The pressure data is in CUP, which was all the rage 100yrs ago. You can't tell the suitability based on pressure/velocity. The data is very low pressure, much too low for AutoComp. You get erratic ignition, powder zombies and poor accuracy.

2. Hodgdon's attitude - Hodgdon doesn't intend to revamp their data to psi and they will continue to mislead reloaders into believing that AutoComp is suitable for low pressure rounds like 45acp.

I did finally get a decent load using AutoComp, but it is at a higher velocity than I wanted and is so far above the published data that I will not post it.

My recommendation is to pass on AutoComp for the 45acp unless you have the patience, experience, and equipment to work up a load - but don't bother asking Hodgdon for help. Hodgdon used to be very supportive - I wonder what has happened? Maybe it's just me - I didn't use mouthwash before emailing them Wink

This was really stupid post. All I learned from it is that you have bad luck, and like to piss and moan.

Sorry dla, I just couldn't resist. rotflmo

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote