Find
Notify
Tools

300WM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of solvi
posted
I am trying a new load for my SAKO 300 Win. Mag and I got this info from the Vihtavuori loading catalogue
Bullet. 150gr Ballistic/Silvertip
Powder Vihtavuori N165 83.2 gr Velocity 3197.
Sound�s fine but when I was putting the bullets in I could hear the powder crushing beneath the bullet, and looking down in the shell I could see the powder filling the brass almost to half of the neck. What do you think, is it a safe load or should I reduce the powder

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After double checking that load in the latest Vihtavuori reloading manual I thought I might give you my opinion.

That is a safe load according to Vihtavouri, BUT and this is a big BUT, you should not start there, that is the MAXIMUM load listed.

You should certainly reduce the load a couple of grains and work your way up looking for pressure signs.

Having said that, just because it is a comressed load and you are crushing the powder a little should be of no concern. Lots of compressed loads work just fine.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of solvi
posted Hide Post
I have often reloaded with maximum charge but never seen so much powder in a shell before. When reloading the 300 WM I have newer used so light bullet, most of the time I am using 180 or 200 g bullets. This is the first time that I am trying a moly coated bullet in my gun and I have reed somewhere that they can handle just a little more powder than a standard bulled.

S�lvi

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Your not using your head in the game of reloading. Why do you think they print those reloading books, just to use up extra paper laying around. Follow the books directions and start at the suggested starting load and as you work up to the maximum load listed you should hit the accuracy load for your rifle with that powder and bullet. The vast majority of rifles will give you their best accuracy before you reach the maximum load listed. It is not using good sense to load above the maximum load listed in any cartridge. With your mind set you are sure to blow you and your rifle to bits sooner or later.
As far as compressed laods are concerned your not crushing the powder in the case your just compressing the powder. Compressed loads are not dangerous and can be very accurate but those accurate types of loads are few and far between. You are far better off finding a powder burning rate that fills your case to the shoulder and no more. Most rifles give their best accuracy with powder charges that are not compressed.
One final note, you should reread your realoding manuals front section about the proper way to approach relaoding your own ammo.