THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which clean burning powder for the .308?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone,

I've decided to start reloading for my .308 and I'm looking for a clean burning powder that gets decent velocity in a short-barreled (20 inch) .308. I'm planning on using either 150 gr or 165 gr bullets, probably 165gr. I can't stand powders that dump a ton of sludge in the barrel, no matter how well they shoot or the velocity they generate. What's a clean burning powder that performs well with 165 gr bullets?

Thanks

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon Benchmark

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My BLR likes re12.
By BAR likes 748.

Both are on the fast end of burn speed and work pretty clean.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jennerwein
posted Hide Post
N 140!

Expensive, but as clean as a finnish mermaid.

Posts: 53 | Location: Marin County, CA | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like H4895. I get a little better velocity and accuracy in shorter barrels than I do with Varget. And its clean burning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Then don't use ball powders.

On the other hand don't over react.

I use IMR 3031 and RL 10 in the 308 with 150's.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Varget has become my favorite medium burning powder and it works very well in the .308. I haven't noticed signifigant fouling, and generally put 100 rounds down the barrel before cleaning.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who wouldn't like a Finnish mermaid?

Wink

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Varget and H4895.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Vit 140 does just fine here too:-)

Posts: 14 | Location: uk | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
VV140 for 150 & VV150 for 165-168gr.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Varget

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
46.0grs of Varget and 165gr Partitions gives good velocity and shoots sub 1" 3 shot groups at 200yds from my 18 1/2" barreled Steyr Scout.............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not loaded .308 for some years, and I never used Varget for that cartridge. I did have good results with IMR 4064. I have used Varget in other cartridges, and I never found a use for it that seemed to me to be such that there was not some better powder choice available.

I once did experiments to see whether I could load the .300 Weatherby down to 30-06 velocities. One of the powders I used in those experiments was Varget. It gave me good accuracy at the reduced velocities I was seeking, but also gave me the dirtiest cases I've ever gotten from any powder in any reloading.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clean burning is a relative thing. All powders leave some residue that needs cleaned out. The only real dirty powder I'm aware of is Red Dot, to fast for the 308. In mine I always used IMR 3031, W748, IMR 4064 and BLC #2. Finally settled on IMR 3031 as they were my best grouping loads,,,,most days!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Most every powder burns dirty when run at reduced levels, so using Varget to make a 300 mag into an -06 isn't a fair comparision.

I've found my .223, .308, 350 rem mag, 350 Rigby, 458 Lott and 500 Jeffrey all shoot very well with Varget.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375RUM
posted Hide Post
VV N140/N150 - burns cool (compared to most other powders)& clean even at moderate pressures.

Posts: 44 | Location: Norway | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Most every powder burns dirty when run at reduced levels, so using Varget to make a 300 mag into an -06 isn't a fair comparision.

Maybe so. But the reduced loads I made with other powders were nowhere near as dirty as those I made with Varget.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The local place didn't have any vv140/150, so I picked up some Benchmark. When I can find some, I'll pick up some of the VV powders.

Thanks everyone

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i found varget very clean burning. but my pet load is 46gr of vit n140 and 150gr SST book length Big Grin or try 150gr game king with 47gr og reloader 15 both shoot 1/2" groups out of my mod 70 coyote. i also know a guy who has a 20" tikka T3 and loads 44gr of vit n140 with 168gr match kings works well.

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like three Varget , H4895 ,or Imr 4320

If winning isn't important? WHY keep score...

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
46.0grs of Varget and 165gr Partitions gives good velocity and shoots sub 1" 3 shot groups at 200yds from my 18 1/2" barreled Steyr Scout.............DJ

DJ

Isn't that load pretty hot. I have a manual that lists 42.2 grains of Varget as tops for a 165 grain bullet in .308

posted Hide Post
quote:
Isn't that load pretty hot. I have a manual that lists 42.2 grains of Varget as tops for a 165 grain bullet in .308

Most of the older "manual" Varget data other than in Hodgdons 2006 guide is outdated. IIRC all of my manuals including Hodgdon # 27 shows a max load of 44 grs for a 150 gr bullet and their website shows 47 grs. 46 I think for a 168 gr. They tinkered.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never read a post before where the person requesting data thought that a clean barrel was more important than accuracy or velocity.

Unbelievable.

Just unbelievable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

DJ

It's the load printed on my can of Varget!

I've used it in 1/2 dozen different 308's with 4 or 5 different 165 to 168gr bullets with no pressure issues.

It's also the load listed by the manufacturer:

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/308win.php

I feel totally comfortable using it, YMMV................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Varget and Reloader 15

I use IMR 4895 @ 43.6 with Sierra Gameking 165 BTHP and Fed 210 Match primer in WW cases

Excellent hunting load!

COL 2.760"

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You will not find many 308win loading discussions that don't mention Varget. Varget has worked well for me w/ 165s.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I find Varget to be the dirtiest powder of the bunch. In a 308, it seems to powder foul unusually bad. I am surprised everyone else is claiming its so clean. Even though its dirty, its my powder of choice for 308.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been reloading for over 40 years, shooting for over 50 years, and I never worried about how clean any of my guns were after shooting them. Until '98 when I got my first computer, then discovered forums like this one, I really was on my own as far as all the finer points of handloading.

I tend to think we OVER annalyse some things. I suppose there are some powders that burn cleaner than others, but so what? Routine cleaning removes powder fouling quite easily.

When Hodgdon clays first came out, I was working at a gunshop. We loaded some in standard 12 ga. trap loads to test. We were amazed at how little residue there was in the barrels of a used O/U. In fact we cleaned it, then fired one clays load in one barrel, then asked who could tell us which one had been fired. About 50% were wrong!

Could a test like that be done with a rifle? Sure, why not? But would it prove anything? No! Just pick a suggested powder in whatever cartridge you're loading, then deal with the fouling!

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote