Find
Notify
Tools

450 No. 2 Nitro Express
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Has anyone had experience reloading this cartridge? Who is a good source of brass? I've heard mixed opinions on some of the newly manufactured brass, that case capacities vary, doesn't stand up to pressure above 35K PSI, etc. Any experience/opinions? I plan to rechamber a Ruger #1 in 458 to this caliber but need to be sure first.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Why convert to a 100-year-old obsolete cartridge? Especially one that had case extraction problems when it was "on the market"?

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Does this case have extraction problems? It's my understanding that the No.2 was developed to alleviate the case extraction problems of the 450 NE. It has a heavier rim, thicker walls and larger capacity than other 450 rounds. The A-2 manual thinks highly of it, particularly from the standpoint of reloading versatility. Reamers are available and the only problem I have so far is obtaining brass, but I don't expect to need much.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Bertram brass for the .450 #2 is available ($5 each, ouch) from Huntington's or Graf's, but the capacity of this enormous case makes loading a bit touchy. The .450 3-1/4 is eough smaller that loading is simpler and cases are considerably less expensive as well; that would be my choice for a Ruger #1 conversion. Graeme Wright lists loads and techniques for both in Shooting the British Double Rifle, which is also a pretty good read. With modern brass you'll not have extraction problems with either one.

[This message has been edited by bpesteve (edited 04-09-2002).]

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FLA3006. I HAVE A DOUBLE RIFLE IN 450 No2. I AM VERY FOND OF THIS CARTRIDGE IN A DOUBLE RIFLE. HOWEVER IN A RUGER No.1 THERE IS NO NEED TO CHAMBER FOR A CARTRIDGE THAT HAS BRASS THIS EXPENSIVE AND IS ONLY AVIALABLE FROM ONE SOURCE. THE No.1 EJECTS RIMLESS BRASS WITH NO PROBLEM, WHY NOT CHAMBER FOR THE .458 LOTT, THEN IN A PINCH YOU COULD USE .458 WINCHESTER AMMO. THIS IS A SIMPLE RECHAMBER JOB IN A .458 No.1.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
NE450#2: Your solution makes a lot of sense. I'm still thinking this project through. The only thing I'm certain of is I want to rechamber my 458, which is a beautiful custom piece, to something with greater potential & versatility.