THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of blackpowder in 460wby, and 500 A2.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know I have asked this question before, but that was under another tread that was'nt about exactly that theme.

I wander if anybody have any loads for this two calibers, using BP.
It happends that i'm shooting some "fun-competitions" during the year, and would really like to make some fun.
With the right wind, this can be really fun for the other competitors if they can't see their target anymore, in a thick cloud of smoke!
I have no experience in the use of BP, so any advice would be aprechiated.
What powder, how much, behind what bullet?

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I don't see why not. I used to load for a .45-120/510r bullet. Fill the case full of FFg, the charge should be compressed, you can use a filler on top to achieve this, seat a 500gr lead bullet & let her rip. I'm not sure why you would want to do this but it is possible.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just for the pure fun of it, Fredj338!!
I just love the boooom, the sparks, smoke, and smell of a real big BP load.
And to make things hard to consentrate on the target for my sideman on the stand.
I shoot alot for fun, and I think this will be just that!

I sure want other opinions on this matter to.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
If I were doing it, I would put as much fffg (priming powder) as I could get in er.

When I was shooting my Ruger "Old Army" in competition, fffg was the most accurate, and Ruger warrantied the gun for "as much black powder of any granulation that could be loaded into the chamber" (my quotes)

You certainly won't reach unsafe pressure levels.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just jam the case full of FFg black and have at it. You may have best results with a hard-cast 500 grainer in the .460 as the lube tends to loosen the fouling a little but jacketed slugs should also work fine. Fg may give a little more flash and spark as it's a bit slower burning grade.

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote