New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 dakota
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any one have one of these! and what do they shoot like, are they troublesome to load, and is the brass readily available, or is it a fireforming job, whats the barrel life like!

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It's not a Dakota offering, at least I can't find it, so it would be a wildcat based on the 7mmDakota. I have a 7mm Dakota, brass is available from several places as manuf. by Dakota/Norma. I would think it a simple reloading process using 7mmDakota brass, but why? Just get the 7mmDakota, it's pretty unique in itself & you get the advantage of heavier bullets if you need them. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks Fred,
thought it was a factory offering, but as you pointed out its a wildcat, that opens up allsorts of problems!Especially with our FLO, which if it doesn't fit into any category they have, then it doesn't exist!
I accept your reasoning behind going for the 7mm but, I wanted to stay in the snall caliber category and 270 was a far as I wanted to go.
I could probably neck my 264 winnie upto 270 but would end up in the same boat as the 270 dakota, a wildcat!
will have to have a rethink.

regards
griff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griff,

Rebarrel current 264WM to 270Wby with 26" barrel. Actualy I reckon if you do your sums you'd probably be better off trading the winnie and buying a new Sako stainless synthetic in 270win.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
griff, if you are just stuck on the .270 bore, then I agree w/ 1894, go .270wby. Very flat shooting, fits a reg. mag. action. Another thought would be .270wsm, factory offering too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred/1894
Here lies the problem, I have just been offered an agency in Tuscany to set up wild boar shooting from Sept to Jan complete with Accomodation. I wanted a rifle that was man enough for wild boar, but was not totally destructive on our own native deer.
I have taken a dislike to the 264, not the calibre but the rifle! I don't want two rifles just a rifle that is capable of shooting a 140gn @over 3100fps which is in my opinion and correct me if i'm wrong here, capable of taking wildboar, also would not be destructive on our own deer, the 264 is recoil friendly, blast friendly and can shoot 95gn vmax for the vermin. I didn't want to go above 270 becuase I don't lik the larger calibres there not cute!!!

regards

griff

one of us
posted Hide Post
griff,

Understand the query & your dilemea. Perhpas some additional food for thought?

The 264 Win. Mag. with 140, 150, 160 or 165 grain long, round nose bullets would have all the penetration and power for Wild Boar required. A bit speedier and smaller in the waist than the standard Continetal Wild Boar fare which tends to a larger bore for Piggie bashing (.366") but a larger hole in the muzzle would not be partuclarly uselful to you on the hill in Scotland either.

With your .270 bore limitation this leaves you with the 6.5's in all their variations and the 270's which are simply the "original" Winchester, Weatherby Mag. and the new Winchester so-called Short Fats (WSM's, which aren't my cup of tea - perhaps yours?).

Like Fred said, the remaining standard cartidges which are easy for your FLO to digest and for your logistical issues leave you with the .270 Winchester & Weatherby Magnum which wouldn't be a bad Piggie basher either with 150 or 160 grain premium bullets and leave you with 90, 100 and 110 grainers for vermin on the hill also. You could probably squeeze by with any of the 130, 140 or 150 grain Barnes TSX's for all of your requirements in the .270 Weatherby as well.

I am not current on Italy's Big Game Cartidge requirements (if any) but some of the Continetal countries require minimum 6.5mm and 2000 joules at 100 meters for "Big" Game (above Roe Deer).

Actually sorry to hear of your dislike for the 264 Win. Mag. rifle because after all the analysis is over this may be the best compromise you've got.

Perhaps I'm not thinking outside the box enough so maybe we can get another consensus or two to assist with your cartidge selection?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
griff,

It sounds like my latest rifle is just what you need. I recently won a Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow Camo in a raffle, pure luck.

It is chambered in .270 WSM and I am pretty impressed. Using RL 22 I shoot 140 grain Nosler Partitions 3150 fps and get 3/4 inch groups time and time again.

If you have need for a varmint load, I use H 4831 behind a 90 grain Sierra HP for 3700 fps and groups as small as a 1/2 inch.

Sounds like just what you are looking for, to me. The biggest problem may be finding a Winchester Model 70 now that they are not being manufactured any longer. But, other companies chamber for this cartridge.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Ok, factory cartridge, low recoil, 140gr bullet @ 3100fps. I think the .270win gets you close. The 7x64B gets you closer (I would go .280 myself). With safe handloads you can get to 140gr @ 3100fps in the 7x64 w/ a 24" bbl. You also have the option of heavier bullets for bigger pigs or red stag. The lightest you can go is probably 110gr for varmints but it will do nicely. All this in a rifle that can be made very light, under 7 1/2# scoped. Recoil is almost not an issue.
Makes me thank the gun gods every day that I live in a country that still lets me own what I want.beer But I do love to visit the Europe & the UK. clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by griff:
Fred/1894
I have just been offered an agency in Tuscany to set up wild boar shooting from Sept to Jan complete with Accomodation.

Correct me but I seem to remember from Express's days that there are some quite draconian restrictions on custom work etc in Italy. IanF has been there and might know more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
Correct me but I seem to remember from Express's days that there are some quite draconian restrictions on custom work etc in Italy. IanF has been there and might know more.

It doesn't apply to foreigners; they must be in conformity to the law in their country. If the rifle is recorded on the "European firearm pass" then there is no problem entering in Italy. Anyway I would suggest to Griff to avoid strange/exotic cartridges. IMHO, a 270 Weath. or a 7 Rem. Mag. could be a better choice.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wilboar,
Flying out on Monday with the sole intention of clarifying the law on the shooting of wildboar by non-residents. My information is that you can apply for a license before the end of May. Which is really no good if it is a last minute decision. So will try to make sense of it when i'm there.
We are also going to look at a few cottages that are currently on the market, fed up with the Scottish winters, too long, to wet!!

Regards
griff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Griff, will you hunt in a fenced area or free range?

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildboar,
free range by the looks of it!

regards
griff