Find
Notify
Tools

Can I use the same brass over and over?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted
You mean I can reload brass after it has been fired before? I don't have to buy new brass every time I reload?

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bill,

You can use the same brass many times.

It depends on several factors how many times you can use them, some are to do with the brass manufacturer's and some are to do with the chamber.

In a tight chambered bench rest rifle, I would say a 100 cases might be anough to wear out the barrel.

The worset offenders in ruining brass in my experience are the factory chambered belted magnums. With some of those you might get no more than 2-3 firings.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
If you are serious, yes. I have some .41 mag. brass cases that I have reloaded more than a dozen times using low pressure target loads. Case design has a lot to do with the longevity of brass as well. Some 30'06 stuff will show signs of stress after a couple of hot loadings. For shooting, I load down a bit to save brass, and have full-house hunting loads set aside for that purpose; adjusting zero for the different loads is a minor inconvenience when compared to the cost savings of not having to replace brass as often.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In _Complete Guide to Handloading_ Phillip Sharpe mentions Dr. Hudson crabbing about a case failure after only 700 shots, and Pope's famous case with 40,000 reloads.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Adams:
You mean I can reload brass after it has been fired before? I don't have to buy new brass every time I reload?

Although you jest posted this in jest, the Word Police assure me that you can reload brass ONLY after it has been fired, to say nothing of "after it has been fired before." Before it has been fired, one can only load it. The reloading, you see, comes later.

To put it another way, until you've used used brass, you haven't reloaded!

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Hey, is this one of those April Fool's things?

R-WEST

------------------
"the spotlight of truth will cause the cockroaches of deceit to run for cover every time"
Rush Limbaugh

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
OK guys, you all are just too nice. This was just an April fools joke, but I guess the jokes on me. I fully expected a bunch of "what a dumb-ass posts", but instead I get nice replys. Thanks to all....BA

------------------
I may be from Arkansas, but I never voted for Bill Clinton!

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
AHA! I knew it.

My great niece (she's 5) got me on the "your shoe's untied" one already today.

I must say, though, Recono's post still has me thinking.

R-WEST

[This message has been edited by R-WEST (edited 04-02-2002).]

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Recono,
Alas, must I dispose of all my bullet pullers? Perhaps they could be converted to tibia tensile testers if I'm not to be allowed to reload unfired cartridges.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Risible Ross, hooked on the first rise

Posts: 159 | Location: Oroville,California,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 May 2001Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Yeah, "shoe's untied" . . .

And like I'm wearing loafers.

You can only fire it once. Then leave it on the ground. Don't worry about picking it up . . .

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

[This message has been edited by Genghis (edited 04-02-2002).]

<eldeguello>
posted
Bill Adams, IF you are using new cases for every loading session, you ain't REloading, you's just LOADING!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely not. For best results, start with unfired cases and send the once-fired brass to me. No use taking chances.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
Look who bit on this joke first....Saeed!