New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x39
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i'm just about to start loading some 7.62x39 ammo to see what decent handloads do compared to the military stuff. Using a colt AR in that caliber with a 308 barrel. I've got loading date for 125 and 150 gr, but anybody have anything for using a 110 gr bullet??

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i'm just about to start loading some 7.62x39 ammo to see what decent handloads do compared to the military stuff. Using a colt AR in that caliber with a 308 barrel. I've got loading date for 125 and 150 gr, but anybody have anything for using a 110 gr bullet??

popcorn Check with Krochus. He built a beautiful shooting 7.62 X 39. Winkroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Butch, I've been shooting a 16" Colt for about 15 years and I reload mainly the Speer TNT 125 grain with 25.5 grs AA 1680. As in any suggested loading data I know you know to start lower and work up to your rifles sweet spot. I've also used about 6 different brands of commercial brass and have no particular favorite except maybe the R-P with the small primer pockets, with the IMI a close second. I've been told that Colt used the .310/311 diameter, but I have no proof of that and have never slugged my barrel to find out. The Sierra 110 HP is a very accurate bullet in my rifle and about 27 grains of the AA 1680 does it nicely. I should mention that I use a Tubb CWS and his spring sets in this rifle. I did get the insane idea to try LiL Gun in the rifle with 110 V-Maxes and well it's way too fast! A great Hornet it isn't.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote