New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great 300 H&H Results
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, we had a unusually calm day here on the Wyoming plains, so I thought I would take my 300 out to the range and touch off a few. Could not have been more pleased with the outcome. Up to this point, I had only done 50 yard shooting with a few loads to test and zero in. Finally got out to 100 yards today. Shot 2, 5-shot groups, one of which went into 0.963", the other settled in at 1.25". Needless to say, I was pleased considering I very rarely shoot 5-shot groups. Shot 2, 3-shot groups also, both of which hovered right around 0.75".

Load Info:
Win Brass
WLRM Primers
65 grains of H4831
180 grain Hornady Interlock

Not a speedy load, but no matter. I have a gun that I feel confident in and a load that will handle anything from large bodied deer to elk, moose, bears and caribou. The more I play with this gun, the more I learn to appreciate the classics.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
"I have a gun that I feel confident in and a load that will handle anything from large bodied deer to elk, moose, bears and caribou. The more I play with this gun, the more I learn to appreciate the classics."[/QB][/QUOTE]
Sounds to me like you got yourself a winner. Take a deep seat cowboy. The sky is high and the ground is hard. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got two .300 H&H's so I can relate to your happiness. All a guy truly needs for North America.

Enjoy.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 73 grs. of old surplus H-4831 with 180s and 200s..for sub 1" groups...Your load is very mild...about on par with a 06...

For what its worth I have alway gotten better accuracy in the 300 H&H at, or near max....

With the newly manufactured H-4831 I would use about 70 grs. and get 100 FPS less and accruacy is sub minute..

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I load 65gr of IMR-4350 and get right at 3000 fps out of a 26" barrel. Accuracy averages about .75" for 3 shots. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting ready to finish the weekend by loading 10 experimental rounds, 5 each with 67gr and 5 each with 68grs IMR4831 and Speer 180gr Grand Slams.
My first and only previous experiment was with IMR4350 and Speer 180gr Mag Tips. 67grs of IMR4350 pushed the Mag Tips an average 3040 fps from a '59 Win 70 with 26" barrel.
I'm curious, what make and magnification scopes do you have on your 300 H&H rifles? Mine has never been scoped and I'm thinking either a Leupold or Kahles scope in 3.5-10x50. Then again, I don't really want to mar the prestine factory blue on the receiver. Oh what to do? [Confused]
Bill

Posts: 134 | Location: So CA | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Sounds great. I got a .300 H&H two years ago and love shooting this gun. Not only will it hunt almost everything in the world, but you get an instant dose of "coolness" when you tell people you shoot the Super .30.

[Wink]

BTW, my load is 65 grains of RL22 and a 200 grn Partition.

- Mr Bill, I use a Burris 3-9x with the Ballistic-Plex reticle.

[ 11-03-2003, 08:17: Message edited by: JLHeard ]

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bill. I'm curious to see what 65gr of 4350 will do in your rifle. I got just about the same velocities you did ( about 30fps less) with 180gr Partitions. My rifle sports a 2.5X10 Swarovski. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the same load as Atkinson w/ 180's, and have the same results i.e. excellent. I think the 300 H&H is just one of those inherently accurate cartridges.

Oops, almost forgot to answer Bill's question regarding scopes. I have two 300 H&H's, a 721 and a 700 Classic. On the 700 Classic I have a 6x-24x Burris Signature (gloss) in Burris Signature rings. It really finishes the gun nicely. The 721 has a Simmons, but I'm not as happy with the model that is on there now as I was with it's predecessor, so I'm going to remove it one of these days.

[ 11-03-2003, 16:39: Message edited by: Kingfisher ]

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine wears an older M8 6X Leupold.

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Remington Classic wears a fully coated Leupold 6x42 in the heavy reticle profile and held by Warne mounts. 1B

Posts: 51 | Location: Reston VA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My pre war win m-70, carries an old 4x Leupold with a Leupold dot in Leupold R&Bs with a pop up peep...It is all I have ever needed and I have poked holes in some game a long ways off with that old gun...

It is the first gun that I ever stocked under the tutledge of an old stock maker whos name slips me..its been that long ago...That stock has been on several rifles and both the gun and the stock are pretty well worn smooth, no blue and stock looks like driftwood [Embarrassed] I have even been accused by my friends and arch enimies of haveing a closet stainless steel rifle, NEVER in this lifetime. [Wink] It still shoots 1/2 inch every time with almost any load even barnes X.....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Bill:
I'm getting ready to finish the weekend by loading 10 experimental rounds, 5 each with 67gr and 5 each with 68grs IMR4831 and Speer 180gr Grand Slams.
My first and only previous experiment was with IMR4350 and Speer 180gr Mag Tips. 67grs of IMR4350 pushed the Mag Tips an average 3040 fps from a '59 Win 70 with 26" barrel.
I'm curious, what make and magnification scopes do you have on your 300 H&H rifles? Mine has never been scoped and I'm thinking either a Leupold or Kahles scope in 3.5-10x50. Then again, I don't really want to mar the prestine factory blue on the receiver. Oh what to do? [Confused]
Bill

.....I have a nice old 53 model 70 30H/H and it has a 3.5x10-40AO Leupold with duplex in Redfield type mounts and lapped bottom screw type Redfield rings.....I traded around over the years to get a Monte Carlo stock version and the throat in the barrel looks as new......it wasn't shot much but they did put on a old style vented recoil pad or it would have been too $ for my budget.....I had a dark red Decelarator pad fitted in its place...I have a steel blue butt plate and the stock was only squared up and not shortened but maybe 1/2 inch....one day I might fit the steel plate to the stock?????I have had a few of the 3.5x10AO scopes on other guns and the oldest is one VXIII before they had click adjustments and it was on a "work" gun and has held zero for many years with just a little care......good luck and enjoy that fine old gun and cartridge!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of you guys reading this thread are probably thinking "Why bother shooting an H&H if you are only going 2750 fps?" Well, I have wondered this too, but when I was shooting those 5-shot groups, the barrel hardly even got warm. Granted, this is of little or no importance in a hunting situation, where I would more than likely speed things up a bit, but for any kind of competition shooting, this is great. No, I am not going to enter any benchrest matches with this gun, but I think it is neat that it has such potential. Did I mention this gun has a 26" tube? This is my first experience with a gun so well endowed, and thus far I am sold on more barrel for a large capacity magnum, even if it is just 2" more. [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you're loading pretty close to the original loads. The Brits liked to load big cases to low pressures, because they still worked well in the tropics without getting sticky cases. I don't think the ballistics were much ahead of the '06 at first.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
I have an old Unertl Hawk 4X scope on my 721 w/24 inch barrel. Mounts are Leupold QRWs and also have a Dakota single leaf express sight on back. I love the whole set up, and bought the scope for $50 and it's worked great.
It'll be bumming out in the woods on Saturday for another year hunting whitetails. Had a problem with brass which I think I can fix thanks to help on this board.
The 300 magnum has got to be one of the smoothest feeding cartridges, it's like chambering air.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 H&H, I noticed you said your 721 sports a 24" barrel. Mine most definitely has a 26 incher. Did Remington make two versions or has your been chopped? By the way, my gun happens to be missing the original rear factory sight. Will one made for a modern 700 fit or do I need to do some serious scrounging? I have a Williams rear peep that came on it, and it shoots great using this in conjunction with the factory front sight, but would like to make the gun as original as possible. Oh, what to do........ [Confused]

[ 11-05-2003, 20:20: Message edited by: Wyocowboyshooter ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check around on gunbroker or auctionarms. You never know what you might find. My 721 has a 26" barrel, and my 700 Classic has a 24. The funny thing that I have found about the 700 Classics in 300 H&H is that all the boxes are marked 22", but they're all 24's. I see them all the time out on gunbroker where they have a picture of the end of the box and it says 22", but they're not actually 22 inch barrels. Go figure.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
WY,
Mine is 24" for sure. I was just comparing it last week to a 760 '06 and measured the barrel. Mine never had a provision for the factory remington sights like most I've seen. It is marked with the Remington address, etc. so it is a rem. barrel. It could have been cut, but I don't think it is. I've heard that later model 721s came with 24" barrels and got rid of earlier sights.

If you want to find some sights for it go to Numrich gun parts corp. on the web. They should have plenty of replacement parts for the 721. I got parts for my L.C. Smith shotgun there which suprised me.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote