Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hornady Brass-Good Stuff
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
I believe that there are a number of sources for the brass, and that one of them is Chech. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
As others have said, current "Hornady" headstamped brass is NOT the former "Frontier" brass.

We need to talk apples & apples here, not Rolls Royce and Yugos.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I went to the range with 6 rounds yesterday. I stated with 64.5 gr. of RL19 then up one grain at a time to 65.5. Just to see if there were any major changes from switch lots of Powder and different brass. All 6 shots went into 1" the last two on a different target were 1/4" apart. No signs of excess pressure. I'll load some more of the last load and give a report as it is my most accurate load in a 140gr bullet. So far no flyers.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the brass I've used or come across with the Hornady headstamp has been excellent. I can't say the same for Frontier brass.

I'm currently reloading some .44Mag cartridges for my brother-in-law. All of the brass I'm using for reloading is from once-fired factory Hornady ammo out of his Desert Eagle. Some of it is Frontier, and the rest of it is Hornady headstamped. When I got the cases from my brother-in-law, the first thing I did was to tumble it. When I removed them from the tumbler, I noticed that several of the Frontier cases are split all the way down the sides. The Hornady brass looks great.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, the Hornady .458 Lott brass is as good as you can buy. You can pay triple the price for Bell brass but I can't see the advantage. I have some Bell stuff and am not that impressed, especially for the price. I had several pieces of Bell brass that suffered head seperation after about 4-5 reloads. No such problem, so far, with the Hornady brass. Expensive doesn't necessarily mean good and, cheap doesn't always correspond with lesser quality.

I first tried it sometime last year. As you normally get 20 pieces of brass in a "box", I ordered four boxes, figuring that 80 pieces would last a long time. However, Hornady packs their stuff 50 pieces to the box so, imagine my surprise when I received 200 pieces in my shipment. I've got enough to last most people for a long time. I recycle about 50 pieces while practicing and working up loads. But, I always use "new" brass for rounds that will make the trip.

Posts: 405 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote