New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Concentricity
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a box of Federal Premium Vital Shock cartridges for my new 300 WSM. I checked the concentricity of the bullets and found them from 1.5 - 11 thousandths. About half were more than .005. I have heard from some experts that more than .005 can cause accuracy issues. My test (although not extensive) seemed to confirm that. I am wondering how many here check concentricity? Comments?

I was at a sporting goods store in Michigan a few weeks ago and a rep from RCBS was conducting a seminar on reloading. When he was finished he asked if anyone had questions. I asked his opinion of case/bullet concentricity and he asked me what about it. I said I heard it can cause accuracy issues and he said you have over 20 inches of barrel for it to straighten out. I don't buy that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does the ammo shoot?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Next time you see the RCBS dork, ask him why you should ever bother using all the features of their precision Mic.

Given a decent bullet, a straight cartridge is the whole point of the reloading exercise.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I check for runout on all of my rifle ammo. I have done extensive testing with straight ammo vs crooked ammo. What I have found is some of my rifles shoot much much better with straight ammo and some of my rifle could care less if it is straight or not. So, I do what I can to keep em all straight.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I asked his opinion of case/bullet concentricity and he asked me what about it. I said I heard it can cause accuracy issues and he said you have over 20 inches of barrel for it to straighten out.

He is NOT an "expert" on reloading.

When a freshly launched bullet hits the lands cocked, it does tend to straighen somewhat but it cannot completley straighten. After the initial rifling contact and engraving while traveling its own length, further travel down the bore can't do a thing to improve any residual misalignment. It will wobble!

Now, that wobble does vary between rifles because of the fit of the bullet in the throat, angle of the origination of the lands, etc. Bullets with run-out greater than the throat will allow do get restricted to the degree, so tight chambers/throats can help to some degree. It seems most of our attention is spent trying to correct for true run-out between 1 and 5 thousanths, the rifle itself should limit the effects of run-out greater than that.

I love the RCBS Precision Mic for the body and bullet length thimbles because it is so easy and repeatable. But, their "freebore" tool, the dummy bullet to find OAL to the lands, is virtually worthless, IMHO.

Actually, the Hornady LnL (Stoney Point) bullet and case length tools do as well as the RCBS Mic. The LnL is much less expensive if you work with more than one cartridge. The jury is still out on the value of the LnL dummy cartridge/bullet for finding the length to lands. I have that tool too, but find myself returning to the old marked cleaning rod method!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Scovill wrote an article on concentricity that I let get into my head so I ordered a Sinclair concentricity gauge to do yet another check on my handloads. I still cannot figure out why I needed one since I loaded for 18 different rifle cartridges for over 30 years and never needed one before. Does concentricity make a difference? Yes in some rifles but only if you are trying to compete w/ the benchrest crowd.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't think the RCBS rep was too bright when in the same store they sell a tool from RCBS which checks concentricity.

I checked all my once fired cases with my Sinclair concentricity tool and all were within 1 1/2 thousandths. I have not done a lot of testing yet, but the Federal cartridges (I checked the bullet not the case) with less than .005 shot better. However, I need to do more testing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He was probably not a very articulate person. Probably what he meant to say was since the vast, vast majority of factory rifles have not had their bolt faces trued to the axis of the chamber, the concentricity of the ammo in them is a moot point.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some good people here on the forums say it matters and others say it doesn't. I subscribe to the "let the gun tell you" theory.
There is a guy over at LR forums with a 338 edge. He says when he runs his brass through the dies to make the cartridge his first loadings have .020" runnout. He can still shoot near 1" @300 yds with that ammo and says this particular gun shows no preference for ammo that bad and super low runnout ammo.
As a habit it sure can't hurt to make good runnout but once again....it may not matter to a particular gun.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Preoccupation with run out in factory ammo is time that is mostly wasted if your rifle has more then minimum head space and the typical huge factory chamber with a lot of neck and body clearance.
All the clearance permits the loaded round to get out of line with the bore. Just like the lack of concentricity in loaded ammo.
You may be able to deal with the chamber clearance with various resizing techniques but a close fitting chamber is generally easier to deal with.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the question is, can you shoot well enough to see a difference.

Wearing a heavy quilted coat, shooting glove on left hand, shooting prone with a tight sling, shooting a 12-17 pound rifle, it is still a debateable question among highpower shooters whether runnout makes any difference.

In a hunting rifle, shooting off sticks, or a rock, you will never see any error due to runout.

I believe having a concentric chamber is more important than having a concentric round.

And you would be surprised how few barrels have concentric bores.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting add-on to this post. My lowest priced dies, a set of Lee 223AI FLR and a collet die, consistently produce brass with .001 runout or less.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing to remember, especially in a factory cut chamber, no matter how straight your ammo is, the bullet is ALWAYS crooked when it is in the chamber relative to the bore. Even in the custom cut chambers of bench guns with the bullet jammed into the lands, the bullet is crooked relative to the centerline of the bore.
Then you have this violent explosion of pressure that slams the bullet from a standstill and crams it into the lands. And the bullet don't want to go.
So the factory rep can make a pretty good case for his cavalier disregard for straight ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Benchrest shooters don't buy the RCBS Representative's comment either. Concentricity is very importmant to uniformity which is the basis for accuracy. I select my brass carefully by weighing and running on a Sinclair concentricity guage. I look for cartridges up to .338 caliber to be within .002" and over .338 i.e. .375, .416, and .510 to be within .004".

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Preoccupation with run out in factory ammo is time that is mostly wasted if your rifle has more then minimum head space and the typical huge factory chamber with a lot of neck and body clearance.
All the clearance permits the loaded round to get out of line with the bore. Just like the lack of concentricity in loaded ammo.
You may be able to deal with the chamber clearance with various resizing techniques but a close fitting chamber is generally easier to deal with.

I think all those who reload for hunting rifles should re-read this post by SR4759 & stillbeeman's post which follows it at least 10 times, then try to visualize exactly how their ammo lies in a hunting rifle chamber at the instant before firing.

Even though the cartridge may be dead straight, its orientation (and more importantly, the orientation of the bullet) to the bore will almost never be either dead-center in or absolutely concentric to the bore at the instant the cartridge is fired in a hunting rifle chamber.

I suspect the few exceptions include ammo where the case and neck have zero clearance from the chamber, and/or the bullet is contacting the lands when the cartridge is fully chambered.

That's why in my benchrest shooting I use ammo which has essentially no clearance from the chamber body, neck, and throat (is a "press" fit into all three) and the bullets just nudge the start of the rifling by about 1/8th of one red hair.

My BR approach, BTW would be TOTALLY impractical in a hunting rifle, and requires mountains of careful work in preparing brass and ammo components PRIOR to loading. So, for lots of shooters it is felt to also be impractical even for benchrest competition.

Needless to say, it can also be dangerous if not done right each and every time.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems like a PFLR that leaves a small area of the neck fire-formed to the chamber really would help. I think that most boltheads are machined to fairly close tolerances.

I'm not saying that factory rifles launch the bullet 100% straight, just that they are a little better than the image that was created of the cartridge just laying caddy-whompus in the chamber.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I experimented a bit with leaving the bottom of the case neck slightly enlarged via using a washer on top of the shellholder with a lee collet die. The results for me in that gun was no improvement....instead the gun showed a preference for a certain brand of brass.....go figure.
To my knowledge no one has ever been able to film a bullet entering the rifling of a gun to actually see what happens. I think many shooters minimize how a good barrel and chamber can make poor runnout ammo shoot amazingly well. Perhaps not good enough to win long range shooting matches...but certainly quite close. Again....only a particular gun can tell you what it likes and dislikes by the targets it shoots.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 1969 patent 3440923 issued to Clarence Purdie was for the sliding
sleeve seater die. This is the same guy that got the Co-ax press patent
in 1965.

That was Bonanza, Forster bought them out, and continued manufacturing.

Anyway, the patents have expired, and now Redding has adopted many of
the Bonanza features in their dies.

See the sliding sleeve:
http://www.redding-reloading.c.../compseatingdie.html

RCBS has a sliding sleeve in their Competition rifle dies:
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/Parts_Book.pdf
competition die diagram on page 23.

I think I see a sliding sleeve in the picture of Hornady New Dimension dies:
https://www.hornady.com/shop/s...ck_dies_category.jpg

Per my experiments, the siding sleeve will only give about .001"
improvement in concentricity over the cheapee RCBS seater.

Per my experiments, using brass that has never been bent [by an expander
ball pulling when expanding] gives .004 ~ .010" improvement.

If you want better than concentricity than eliminating the expander ball
and using sliding sleeve [or Wilson sliding seater stem], then you have
to start turning necks or using a collet neck die.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seating stems inside the seating die can also make a big diff. I have some forester dies and love their seaters.
I've also had great results with hornady seaters and lead tip bullets. BUT on some of their dies using plastic tipped bullets the runnout was not so good. I put in a couple of their stems designed for their a-max bullets and the super low runnout came back.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kelbro:
Seems like a PFLR that leaves a small area of the neck fire-formed to the chamber really would help. I think that most boltheads are machined to fairly close tolerances.

I'm not saying that factory rifles launch the bullet 100% straight, just that they are a little better than the image that was created of the cartridge just laying caddy-whompus in the chamber.

I don't believe SR 4759, stillbeeman, or I was saying the rifles will not be accurate enough for hunting and high-power match purposes...quite the opposite.

At least, I was saying that because of the tolerances needed to assure that any factory ammo will function in any factory chamber, the cartridge will not necessarily present the bullet any more concentrical and well centered to the rifling whether absoluetly straight itself or with a few thou of runout.

And it is not necessarily the precision of the bolt head that necessarily determines that either, though it is one contributor among several.... it is the tolerances in the bolt head, the extractor grip, snd the chamber itself, set against the tolereances in the dimensions of the ammunition that determines most of how the bullet is presented at firing.

But even when lying catty-whompus, or with built-in runout, the ammo may still shoot groups of 1/2" or smaller at 100 yards, depending on the rest of the rifle and the shooter.

All in all, for hunting rifles, I personally believe there are much more important things for the reloader to be concerned with than having zero runout.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

"The NRA Handloader's Guide" 1969 enlarged and revised from "The
American Rifleman" with article copyrights from 1950 - 1968

"Gauging Bullet Tilt"

THE MOST PRECISE AMMUNITION
FROM A LOT CAN BE SELECTED
WITH A BULLET ALIGNMENT GAUGE.

By A. A. ABBATIELLO

Other factors being normal, bullet
tilt with respect to the case center-
line affects group size. If the barrel
length and twist are known, it has been
found possible to predict the direction
from the group center in which the tilted
bullet will strike. If the amount of tilt
is known, the distance from the group
center can be predicted.
Significant score improvement has
been noted by those who have tried
such gauged ammunition.
In cal. .30 long-range shooting, the
best match-grade ammunition will group
in one to 2 minutes of angle under test
conditions. Part of this spread is due
to the bullet tilt with respect to the
case centerline, imposed by the bullet-
seating tool. This tilt displaces the bul-
let’s center of gravity slightly to one
side; in bullets such as the cal. .30 Ml,
the amount is about 1/8 the displace-
ment of the bullet point. It enlarges
groups by amounts up to one minute.
These deviations become proportion-
ately less as the tilt is reduced. Tilts
over .O04" do not seem to increase the
dispersion of the group beyond the ex-
pected one minute. Perhaps this is
because a well-fitting chamber has a
tendency to straighten any rounds
which are excessively tilted. Other ex-
planations are possible.
The gauge consists of a V-block
which permits rotating the round about
the bullet point and 2 tangent spots
near the case head. A dial indicator
which reads in tenths of thousandths of
an inch (.0OO1") bears on the bullet
near the case neck. Half the total indica-
tor reading is used as the displacement
for determining the classes into which
the rounds are separated. The high point
is also marked at this time for orienta-
tion of the round in the rifle chamber.
Rounds with .0O2" tilt or less can
be considered good enough for long-
range use, while those with .O03" and
.OO4" tilt are best used only at short
ranges. In general, it was concluded
from target results that each .0Ol" of
tilt will increase the group spread about
1/4 minute of angle, up to a maximum
of .OO4" as mentioned above.
Under test conditions, it was found
that when the rounds were chambered
with the high point always in the same
orientation, the groups were smaller
than when it was randomly oriented.
Gauging and orienting the rounds can
produce the smallest groups of which
that ammunition is capable.
These ammunition refinements are
becoming important, particularly in
long-range matches.
The essentials of the tilted bullet were
discussed in detail no less than 50 years
ago by Dr. F. W. Mann in his book
"The Bullets In Flight". He pointed out that
the balance of the bullet and the spiral
path of the center of gravity are of
high importance in accuracy.

Following a discussion between
George L. Jacobsen of Frankford Arse-
al and the writer at the 1959 National
matches, a trial of the effect of neck
concentricity was carried out by Jacob-
sen. He described his results in ".30-’O6
Cartridge Cases And Accuracy", which
appeared in THE AMERICAN RIFLEMAN,
January 1960, page 20.

SEATING TOOL A FACTOR

The effects which Jacobsen found,
though small, are essentially in agree-
ment with the work reported here.
However, he did not separate the effects
of neck eccentricity and the bullet cen-
ter-of-gravity location with respect to
the bore. The angular direction of the
bullet seating tool is a controlling factor
in the initial position given to the bullet,
rather than merely case neck eccen-
tricity. Case necks can be centered or
eccentric, and the bullet can be inclined
in completely random directions. The
tilted bullet is believed to be the main
cause for center—of-gravity side shift.
The cal. .30 boattail bullet of 173 grs.
weight was selected for these tests be-
cause it is in common use and is of
sufficiently high quality for use in the
National Matches.
Using the gauge shown, 42 ammuni-
tion lots were sampled and the high
point was marked on each round gauged.
These rounds were grouped in steps of
.OO1" bullet tilt, and the data tabu-
lated. The results gave a bell—shaped
curve for 829 rounds of match ammu-
nition, peaking at about .0O2" (see
illustration). Measurements on Service
ball ammunition produced a curve of
similar shape, but peaking at about
.0025" tilt.
This graphically illustrates that even
match-grade ammunition has appreci-
able variations. There is a large spread
among particular lots and boxes. In
general, 10% to 20% of each lot, de-
pending on ammunition quality, falls
into .0O3", .0O4" or even up to .O10"
tilt. Run-of-the-mill ammunition can
thereby enlarge groups to about twice
the size which the same ammunition
can show when it is gauged before firing.
Since the tilt angle of the bullet is
so small (about 1/4 °) it is difficult to
perceive visually. The gauge, however,
makes the sorting a fast, routine step.
A mathematical solution of this prob-
lem was also tried (see box) and is in
good agreement with the results ob-
tained. It is gratifying to find the math-
ematical solution and the experimental
results in agreement.

MATHEMATICAL SOLUTION

A laterally displaced center of
gravity moves through the rifle bore
in a helical (screw) path. The pitch
of this helix is the pitch of rifling,
and its radius is the lateral displace-
ment of the center of gravity. On
leaving the muzzle, the center of
gravity continues in the direction it
had at that point. For example, if it
leaves at top of the bore and rifling
is to the right, the departure will be
to the right. The bullet travels ap-
proximately 2l.5" in a 24" barrel,
making 2.15 turns in the 10" twist
of rifling. The number of turns
shows the orientation on emergence
compared with that in the chamber
before firing. The angle of emer-
gence is that angle whose tangent is
2 pi times the lateral displacement
divided by the rifling pitch. For
.004" point displacement and I0"
rifling pitch, the tangent is 1/8(2·pi)
(.004)/l0 and the corresponding
angle is 1.1 minutes.
The displacement on target from
this cause is proportional to the
range and can be obtained without
noting the angle. For example, ,004"
point displacement gives in l0"
rifling pitch, so far as this mecha-
nism goes, a target displacement at
100 yds. (3600") indicated by the
proportion .00l· pi /10=X/3600, from
which x =1.1".

http://siris-libraries.si.edu/...ull=3100001~!43618!0

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]1969 patent 3440923 issued to Clarence Purdie was for the sliding
sleeve seater die. ... the patents have expired, and now Redding has adopted ...

That's true. Today, the Foster and Redding full length, straight line seaters are equals.

"RCBS has a sliding sleeve in their Competition rifle dies:... I see a sliding sleeve in the picture of Hornady New Dimension dies"

That's also true. BUT, the short Hornady/RDBS sleeves are no where near compariable to the Forster type. In fact, even at the time of the original Foster patent Lyman, Herters and at least one other I can't remember had short sliding sleeves that did not infringe on the Forster patent. Didn't work very well then either so the idea died in the late 70s, IIRC.

Vickerman had an open side window sleeved seater during the same period. It died too.

Thing is, no such short seating sleeves do much, if anything at all, for concentricty, not on average anyway. I think RCBS should be ashamed to call their horribly expensive sets "competion" dies, I find them convient to use but not a bit better than their stantard dies.

The Foster/Redding full length body sleeves really do work well, virtusally as well as hand dies. But no seater can correct for bent necks!

How much good a true competition seater die does depends on how poor your present die set is. If it's really good, and by the luck of the draw, some are, then you won't see much improvement with new dies of any type.

The NRA has demonstrated that run-out past a certain point really does't matter, the rifle's throat becomes the controlling factor for really bad stuff. The throat itself actually straightens badly "bent" bullets somewhat.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf, your post should read "SOME" bench shooters don't buy the reps position .....
My ideas did not come from me --I'm not that bright nor that deep a thinker-- but from a highly competitive bench shooter who sez he has every gadget and thingamajig know to man and has used them. But when he thought out the position of the cartridge in the best of the custom chambers and the violence that ensues when you pull the trigger, he decided that his time would be better spent practicing rather than angsting over run out. So he buys the best components he can, uses the best eq he can find, and leaves the gadgets on the shelf. And wins matches.
Don't get me wrong, I've often said, some folks reload to shoot, some folks shoot to reload. Some folks, like me, are kinda in the middle. Looking for that perfect round of ammo is a classic example of diminishing returns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok. The benchrest shooters that "WIN" don't buy the reps position.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're painting with a very wide brush.
Please re-read my post. And if you would bother to check, the folks on the losing end of the finals are probably even more anal than the winners. The winners have thought out why they do what they do, the losers just blindly follow what the latest hot button item is.
I'm done.