THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which reloading manual is your favorite?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
I tend to use my very first manual. An older Speer book that came with my kit.

Question:
Which manual do you use the most or look at first when working up a new load or caliber?

Choices:
Speer
Hornady
Nosler
Barnes
Sierra
Lee
Pet Loads
Powder manufacturer's book
Other, please specify

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
You forgot Lyman in your list Wink. I also use the Barnes manual as I use mostly TSX bullets however. The Lyman manual is the one that got me started in reloading and is very informative.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is rare (if ever) I only use a single manual, but since I could only choose 1, I voted for Nosler, which is normally consulted (at least for hunting cartridges).

Depending on the powder to be used, I also check websites/manuals from Hodgdon, Alliant and Vihtavuori.

Sierra and Hornady are other favourite manuals. I use the Barnes and Speer manuals a lot less frequently.

Finally, the Quickload program is sometimes consulted, but mostly for cartridges, for which I can't find entries in the resources mentioned above.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman 48th. Covers many cartridges and even more bullets...

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
oops

Sorry Lyman fans.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a half dozen manuals, the "go to's " being Sierra and Lyman.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like the sierra but you also forgot hodgons which is excellent

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
All of mine.

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon on line manual is really good.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I make a habit of picking up a manufacturers booklet each year from each manufacturer. I go there and then cross check with an old lyman manual from 1980. I also have all but #4 on Barnes manuals to use if I'm shooting barnes products as the XLC and X bullets have different info than cup and cores.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
www.Lapua.com as I load with vhitavori powders

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
hodgdon online has been very good in my rifles

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Lee - Because of the sheer volume of loads offered

Hodgdon online for the powder choices.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter by Bob Hagel.

My best-performing loads are generally a grain or two less than Hagel's. In fact, if you compare Hagel's top loads against Ken Waters', my personal bests will likely be halfway between these two great reloaders.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
Hodgdon on line manual is really good.
Darn right and I also use their hard cover manual 26th edition.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I use all of the major bullet and powder manufactures manuals, starting with the one for the bullet I want to use 1st, usually Nosler. The powder companies books are handy and come in a close 2nd.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use all of them - in order to gather up the info and decide where to start my new loads.
Ken

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Lee - Because of the sheer volume of loads offered
thumb X2, They publish almost everybody's data. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
I use all of the major bullet and powder manufactures manuals, starting with the one for the bullet I want to use 1st, usually Nosler. The powder companies books are handy and come in a close 2nd.

thumb

I use the same two, just in the reverse order.

Way I look at it is this: Nobody actually knows how any components will perform in YOUR specific rifle - which may have been made first thing Monday morning (Damned hangover!) or late Friday afgternoon (Gotta get to the lake and get the BBQ goin' !!).

But there is one company for double-danged sure which has to produce data which works for and is safe in both those Monday and Friday guns and all the ones in between. It is the guys who make the propellant.

I can do my own working up. And, I am confident the powder companies can tell me where to start working up from with the stuff THEY personally produce....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Hornady manual the most, for pistol calibers. Thats the bullet I use naerly all the time. For rifle I use the Nosler manual for the hunting bullet of choice. I do compare to other manuals I have.

Posts: 54 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 14 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ghostrider272:
Lyman 48th. Covers many cartridges and even more bullets...

X-2

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started with the old Lyman manual and loved it because it showed factory duplication loads, accuracy loads and Maximum loads. You could pick your poison. Now I use the Nosler, Barnes, Swift books a lot because I use their bullets. I hunt with a lot of North Fork bullets and although they don't have a book, I can always interpolate with the manuals available in working up loads. I always want the book for the bullet I am shooting. In all honesty, I cannot wait to get the latest book out, just have to have it. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LYMAN

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Like the Hornady for first reference, but also have a "one book/one caliber" as it lists all powder and ( common) bullet manufacturers for one cartridge. I check specific bullet manufacturers data when loading a specialty bullet like the GSC HV or Berger by email.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any serious reloader needs the Quickload program sooner or later.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon --

I have an old manual, No. 26 I think, circa 1995. Mostly because I use Hodgdon powder. But I check online for data. Hodgdon online is a good source.

Any manual only "gets you in the ballpark." Then you need to tweak.

There are lots of online resources for load data. I compare notes, data, different resources. And then I get on the bench with a chrono, targets, and a spotting scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Sierra a lot because it was my first, but also use Nosler and Speer as well as online from the powder/bullet makers as needed.

I use Sierra not just for the data, but also for specs and procedures, again because it was my first reloading manual. I have volume 1,2, and 3. I had bought #4 but it was so bulky that I gave it away. I have a pdf update on my computer from #4 for larger and newer 223 loads.

I upgraded my Nosler once as well and gave away the older version. It is hard to stay abreast of new powders.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1621 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
I never try a load without going to the powder manufacturers manual. It's where I generally go first. The second reference I check is the bullet mfg's manual.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Since the early 70's I've bought and used.
1.Nosler vol. 1 and 5
2.Sierra vol. 1(?) pub1975. and Sierra Suite 5
3.Speer vol.13
4.Barnes, volumes 2,3,4
5.Hornaday vol II and newest
6. 4ea. One Book/ One Caliber
7. many dozens of articles from gun magazines, the net, etc. - most recent data from Walt Berger on the 6.5x47mm Lapua...

My objectives change, powder changes, etc. and it's fun keeping up....

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use loaddata.com because it has all of them!

405wcf

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
I tend to use my very first manual. An older Speer book that came with my kit.

EekerCan anyone tell me why Nosler? I just do not understand. bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Damn, I'd have to say whichever manual is in whichever bathroom at the time. I have a few older manuals and they all end up in the bathroom library at some point or another. Now I just leave them there.

I have no favorite...I'd love to say I did, but it's well, do I like blondes or brunettes today?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Duckear:

I went even further, and compiled most of them into a reference manual of approximately 140 pages, using WordPerfect and a three ring binder. It took quite a while, but I was spending too much time leafing through each individual manual, comparing data.

Now its really fast.

Can't hand my manual out though, because of copyright infringement.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load nosler bullets, nosler manual,
Barnes bullets, barnes manual
Sierra bullets, sierra manual
Hornady bullets, hornady manual
Speer bullets, speer manual,
lead, lyman
Berger, contact berger, start low and work up.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I bought the QuickLoad program. It contains a vast amount of information and graphic representations. I have been very pleased with the stated data and results usually close to what the program predicted (FPS). Best thing is that the program can be updated. It isn't cheap, but few things that are worth the price are!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornI'm not surprised but although cook book info is usefull, my aquired data to me is far more meaningful. Eeker
A number of times when I've supplied my entire data for a cartridge to some folks they say " I really should start keeping data like you". Doing like I do isn't important but doing it in some historical record that can be easily retrived and studied is prudent, especially if you're going to be in this game for any length of time. beerroger