New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is a crimp needed for the 308 win?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do i need to crimp the bullet if shooting a thompson single shot rifle in 308 win?I loaded w-w,CCI-200,Hornady 150gr sp,2015 powder.

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Crimping is usually required for magazine rifles that generate a lot of recoil. I would not crimp in your situation as it introduces another variable that can only serve to complicate matters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Supposedly, crimping may improve accuracy but in those cartridges I've tried it with, it didn't seem to make any difference. I have never crimped 308 Win. or 30/06 bullets in magazine rifles or in my Encores and have had no problems with bullets moving.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
No!

ditto

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seldom "crimp" to hold the bullet in unless it's a kicker that might move the slug some.

But, when hunting some yrs back I was digging in a pocket for ammo and cut a knuckle pretty bad on a small burr on a case mouth.

Since then, I very slightly crimp everything just enough to smooth up the edge's. Long as the cases are all the same length it's easy to set the die anyway you like.

Wish you well,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6010 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote