New
Find
Notify
Tools

neon lights and electronic scales?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a large neon light, encased in a plastic housing in my reloading shed.

On a bench, around 7 feet from the scale is this tube, attatched to the roof.

How can I check to see if it is eccafting the scale?

I let it warm up, zero and calibrate every time I use it, when I use the wieghts to check it, there is never any difference.

That said, I often re-wiegh powder charges and find they differ .1 - .3 grain form the initial reading. Is this due to the neon tube?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Try weighing your charges in the dark and see if there's any diff.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...ask a stupid question...

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Wait! Wait! How about by candlelight?

[Eek!]

OK OK, I'll get serious (but what fun is that?) -

check with the scale maker on this. Actually if this could be a problem, I'd think there'd be a warning about this with the scale's instr. - and/or any other electric interference such as electric motors, case tumblers, TV's, radio's, refrigerators, blenders, microwaves, TV's, VCR's, DVD's, arc welders, nuclear power plants, and other devices commonly found in a reloading room. [Big Grin]

[ 10-06-2003, 03:59: Message edited by: sonofagun ]

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sonofagun, I like the way you think!
But, the truth is you would probablyl get an erratic reading on the display that would wander up and down a bit and not be able to keep a steady reading. The very best way to check it is with a set of check weights. Then you know for sure.
Of the few cases I've heard of about flourescent lighting causing problems, I've never had any myself and I have a rather large light right above my workbench, not 4 feet from the scale, and I've never had a problem. I guess it just takes certain situations to cause such a problem???