New
Find
Notify
Tools

air compressor for cleaning?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anybody here use a small air compressor for cleaning their benchtop and gear with? I mean the tyoe that artists use to power an airbrush, a small quiet unit. I might go see what they cost...

Also, I heard somewhere that cleaning up gunpowder with a vacum cleaner is a no no.
Is this true? what happens inside a vacum cleaner that could ignite powder?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just use the same compressor I use in my garage. It's out side the house so I don't really care about the noise. Vacuums are quite hot internally, I don't know if they're hot enough to set off powder, but I would be cautious. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Air compressers can induce moisture, a filter can reduce the problem. Most electric motors can produce sparks, I would not recommend a vacume cleaner for picking up powder. One of the hand held units would probably be ok, but I would still sweep/dustpan large amounts.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In dry humidity, enough static electricity can build up in the plastic vacuum hoses and container to ignite the powder. Had a friend set one off just vacuuming up spent primers out of the press primer catcher (or so he says, I think he did the bench too [Roll Eyes] ). Bad idea either way.

[ 01-19-2003, 20:31: Message edited by: mbk ]

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas, USA | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an air compressor with about 20l capacity.The small valve that it comes with on the bottom is no good for draining out water.It is difficult to get to and when is open does not drain out the water.You need one of those big valves with a lever,when open decompresses the tank in seconds and gets the water out fast.Only then will your air be completely dry and good to use on your cases.The air compressor is very useful year around for all kinds of jobs.I highly recommend one.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A small compressor is useless.A big compressor should't be noisy,you should plug it in only when you want to use it.Even when it is plugged in and on all the time it is only noisy when it is working and is working only when you are useing it or when you have a defected valve or a leak.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a lathe from a shop that had used compressed air, and when I took it appart the filings were up inside everything.

I have an air compressor and a shop vaccume.

If I need compressed air cleaning, I take it outside the shop so the debris will not get all over and into everything.

I consider compressed air cleaning a dirty process, like grinding, and should not be in a clean shop.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<RustyRifling>
posted
Compressed air is handy for cleaning tools and gun parts and we have compressors in the machine shop where I work. But OHSA regulations won't allow us to use compressed air to clean work benches or allow them in the loading rooms or laboratory.
Rusty

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
hi,
I use some time a vacuum cleaner that has water instead filter and bag.
I think that it is secure enough. Normally no problems with primers, because when someone falls I look for them until I have found all.
When it happen, I spend a lot of time kneeling down like as I'm praying. [Embarrassed]

bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Put some water in A spray bottle and spray on the gun powder and vacum.

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote