New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets and energy down range
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am stuck with a personal delima. I have a win mod 70 .280 that I want to get improved and pack around the mountains. I also have a heavier .300 win mag. Shooting 165ish grain bullets in both guns, the 280 is about the same in drop and ft lbs of energy at 500 yards. That doesn't sound right to me, but I would surly rather pack the 280 around. Tell me what I am missing or not seeing here. I will be elk hunting this year.

Posts: 39 | Location: Austin Texas | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .300 will launch a 165-grain bullet about 300 fps faster than the .280 Rem will. With bullets of similar ballistic coefficient the .300 will shoot flatter and hit harder at 500 yards. You must have chosen a .308" bullet with a low BC compared to the .280.

But the 165 is not the best .300 bullet for 500 yard shooting. A 180 Interbond at 3100 out of the .300 will hit with 1881 fpe. The .280 launching a 162 Interlock at 2800 fps hits with 1409 fpe.

You can play this game all day, but bottom line - with similar bullet SD/BC the .300 wins hands-down.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
If you really are planning on taking elk at 500 yards I'd probably go with the .300 and 180gr Accubonds, 190gr Sierra, or similar.

Improving the .280 and choosing good bullets, it would be up to it if you are but 500 is a long ways and the less energy it has the smaller the wound channel.

Maybe get an AI stock and lighten the 300 to make it a bit more pleasant. I had a .280 breifly. It was nice enough but offered nothing over several others. In the Mountains lighter is nice, & if shooting accross canyons You'll see much benefit from a heavier High BC bullet at max safe velocity. Wind can be tricky accross a canyon.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wind can be tricky accross a canyon.

No doubt...

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Not sure of your numbers a 165 300 and 160 284 with the 300 starting 300fps faster the 300 drops 26% less and has 17% more energy.

Using closer BC 180s starting a touch slower then the 300 drops 15% less than the 160 in 284 but hits about 22% harder.

All above at 500 Yds.

I shoot a 7mag velocity 280 wildcat with 160s. Used it in Africa and for elk. That said if I was planning a lot of shooting at 500yds the 300 with 180s would make more sense.

Plus a lot of shooting at the 500yd range and take a good range finder with you.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kanga69:
I am stuck with a personal delima. I have a win mod 70 .280 that I want to get improved and pack around the mountains. I also have a heavier .300 win mag. Shooting 165ish grain bullets in both guns, the 280 is about the same in drop and ft lbs of energy at 500 yards. That doesn't sound right to me, but I would surly rather pack the 280 around. Tell me what I am missing or not seeing here. I will be elk hunting this year.

Use whatever rifle you prefer.

I have shot and killed eland at over 500 yards with a 270.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68798 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Use whatever rifle you prefer and shoot the best with. Indeed
Your 280 improved with Nosler AB 160 .531 BC at 2850 FPS MV will far outshoot most folks ability. The same weight Partition at .475 BC pretty much the same answer.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

There is no guarantee cutting new chamber to existing barrel for the 280AI will gain much vs using new barrel. I have 280AI also 30-338mag both are good for an elk tag. My 280AI was factory 280 and I chronograph few loads and wasn't something I'd use for elk.

I shoot 160gr AB in the 280AI and 165gr AB in the 30-338mag. I also know I have better option on heavier bullets for the 30 cal mag if I want.

I like to shoot the yardage I'm going to hunt here in Co and only time weight bother me if rifle over 10 lbs. I like to keep my pack up 20lbs lot depends on how I'm layer.

You might what to try putting some heavy cloths Jacket etc and pack you may use your heavier rifle may balance out.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I didn't read into your question that you were intended to shoot elk at 500 yards, only that you were comparing the performance of two potential elk cartridges at 500 yards.

As others have pointed out, your assumption that the two cartridges will have the same trajectory and energy at 500 yards is inaccurate. However, EITHER cartridge is adequate for elk hunting at any range at which you should reasonably be shooting. A .30 magnum with a 180 grain bullet will give you a bit of edge in energy and trajectory over a .280 Rem with a 160 grain bullet. It will do sot at the cost of some extra weight and recoil. Far more important is that you select the right bullet for whichever gun and that the gun is accurate, you can shoot it accurately, and you have confidence in it.

If you are limited to using factory loads then you have a better chance finding the right combination of bullet and accuracy with the .30 magnum than with the .280 since .280s were limited many years ago to lower standard pressures under the SAAMI standards due to the cartridge being chambered in autoloaders and pumps. That's not to say that there are not factory loads for the .280 adequate for elk, but you'll need to get closer and will have less margin of power.

Posts: 13246 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest that you shoot both at 500 yards and compare. By all means become proficient at 500 yard target shooting before shooting at a fine game animal at that distance. I've killed a few elk at over 300 yards, and shot targets and prairie dogs out to 600 yards. I wouldn't consider shooting at an elk over about 350 yards under field conditions.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote