THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Looking for 6mm & 6.5mm accuracy cartridge suggestions

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 6mm & 6.5mm accuracy cartridge suggestions
 Login/Join

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
My next barrel will be either something in a 6mm or a 6.5mm.
The rifle is an existing Remington short action model 700 long range competition rifle and will be utilized between 300 and 1000 yards for slow fire from the prone position using either a sling or bipod, depending on the class entered. Important considerations include long range accuracy,lack of recoil, superior wind drift, ease of case forming, cost of reloading, and anything else which comes to mind as affecting my shooting performance. Since the matches can require in excess of 100 shots per day, all of the 30 caliber and heavy 7mm bullets are out of the question. My 308 Winchester rifle is being retired to serve as a back up. The present rifle is chambered in 22-250 Ack. Imp. with a 1-8 twist barrel which shoots 80 grain Berger VLD bullets at 3200 fps. The new barrel will be in one of the two choices mentioned below.

Choice no. 1 (6mm) will use the 95 grain Berger VLD bullet, a 28" lg. barrel with a 1-9.5 twist per the recommendation of Berger Bullets. Would prefer a velocity on the range of 2800 to 3000 FPS. The 243 Winchester is out due to short barrel life. Perhaps a 6mm BR or ???

Choice no. 2 (6.5mm) will use either the 140 grain Berger VLD or the Sierra 142?? grain Matchking bullets with a 1-9 twist barrel. Would prefer a velocity between 2700 to 2900 FPS. Have no idea of possible cases to use except for the 260 Remington (6.5-08).

Does anybody have a suggestion as to what and why I should go with a particular combination?

<Don Martin29>
posted
Ask for Moe at MCS inc. These guys walk the talk. 203-775-1013.

In 6mm they are suggesting a .243/22-250 right now.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I think either will do but I`d lean to the 6.5 for long range. The 260 won`t reach the high end of the vel you want without pushing it pretty hard, even with a 28" tube. I would take a look at the 6.5-284, it`s a better choice for the velocity you want and should do it at lower pressure than the 260. The barrel life should be longer with it at like vel and Norma and Hornady both have high quality brass availible. I`ve heard the long range BR shooters have had good results with it. The 284 case was designed to fit a short action and give 270 ballistics, with a powder capacity thats very close.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Bruce Gordon,

For long range shooting you need a 6.5X68
a 140 gr bullet over 3070 fps. I know this caliber isn't common in the US, but very accurate and great for long distance shooting.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
I saw an article a couple of months ago on the 22-250 necked up to 6mm and it looked very interesting. They used it for High power and liked it really well due to the tapered case which had less capacity than the 243 Win. I have been considering that one. The article mentioned that 3000 was obtainable in the case with 105 grain bullets. If my memory serves correctly the 6mm BR will run about 2900 fps tops with 95 grain bullets. Either one will work out to 1000 yards, but I really don't have a clue which would have the better accuracy potential or be easier to load.
In the 6.5mm, the 6.5-284 has a bit more capacity than I want and did not show any improvement in velocity over the 260 Remington according to Saeed's reloading page. Is there such a thing as a 6.5mm BR? If there is, I am guessing that the velocity might be a little low, even with special throating and seating the bullets out.
With respect to the 6.5 x 68, I looked at the information Saeed has listed and the round appears to be the ballistic equal to the 260 Remington with 140 grain bullets.

[This message has been edited by Bruce Gordon (edited 02-22-2002).]

<Don Martin29>
posted
The 243/.22-250 that I saw had what seemed to be a .243 Win. shoulder and body taper. You would have to talk to them on the twist and bullet but I think it's the 107 VLD and a 1-9.

Someone mentioned here that Tubbs has his version that has a tiny bit less capacity.

I don't think that a .260 Rem can run with the 6.5 X 68. That "68" has a huge case.

<re-loader>
posted
I also am trying to make my mind up to re-barreling a short action. In reading a lot of late BR info I see some of them are drifting to the 260 rem. as compared to the 308----& others---

75% less recoil
less drop & drift at 1,000
less powder for more gain
the ones that are switching claim it is better than the 6.5/284--6.5/06.
I am having a heck of time deciding, if I go 6.5/08 I'll definitely go Ackley, with at least a 28" tube. If anyone is interested in the info I have gathered I'll be happy to post it just ask. I just wish someone would really convince me what to chamber-------
90% paper-----10% hunting---weight doesn't matter-------------R-L

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm 22250 is the 6mm International. You want to check out the 6x47Swiss Match which appears to be a modern equivalent and which EXACTLY matches (pun) your criteria.

Our system is down but search Google under 6x47 Swiss Match.

Alternatively how about common or garden 6x47 (222 rem mag 6mm) which with bullets seated as far as the action allows should get in spitting distance of your criteria.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Fanback>
posted
First I think you have narrowed it down to the correct two cartridges given your requirements. It's a hard choice that probably should be driven by your tolerence for recoil. The 6 BR would only be a little step up from what you are shooting. The 260 would whack a little harder but would be better in the wind. How would all this play out after you've fired about 90 shots in a day. Only you can answer that.

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
I made the decision over the weekend and will be going with the 260 Remington. Even went so far as to buy one of the low dollar Remington 700's in 260. Remington supposedly made a small run of the 700 ADL synthetic in 260 Remington caliber, even though it is not listed on their website, and I found one at a local gun shop for a good price. Including tax it was $400, so I picked it up. Oh well, I needed another action anyway.
The gunsmith who makes my barrels said he will have me one drilled and rifled in a couple of weeks and should be able to complete my latest project by April 15. Now all I have to do is get a decent stock. Sort of leaning towards one of the tactical style this time with the mostly vertical pistol grip because I got to shoot one of those over the weekend and found that it fitted my small hand pretty well.
The good thing about getting a barrel done in 260 Remington is that if I lust after a bit more punch a simple reamer operation can open it up to 6.5-284

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Gordon:
With respect to the 6.5 x 68, I looked at the information Saeed has listed and the round appears to be the ballistic equal to the 260 Remington with 140 grain bullets.

You could fit a .260 case inside a 6.5x68... They're BIG!!!

-- Mats

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Hmmm, I wonder why Saeed wasn't getting better performance?

<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Gordon:
Hmmm, I wonder why Saeed wasn't getting better performance?

Beats me. The x68 is larger than the .264 Winchester Magnum.

Might be the light bullets used, not a lot of sense in lighting such a big fire under that small a bullet...

-- Mats

<Fanback>
posted
Good choice. I love mine. Try N550 with 120 Gr and N560 with 140. I'm getting an extra 100fps with great accuracy out of these.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have been experminting with a 260 Ackley.

So far using 95 grain and 100 grain bullets we have been able to get into the 3100 fps range, but have not yet found the most accurate load.

So far the furthest we have test it is 500 yards with mixed results. As soon as we get the proper load developed we are going to go to 1000 yards just to see how it will do.

Just a thought.

Pecos

Posts: 93 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The 6.5X68 will eat up barrels faster than either the 6mm284 or the 6.5mm284. But both of these will do in a barrel quicker than any shorter case. I would suggest yo look at the Walker version of the 6mm International, which is a .250 Savage case necked to 6mm. It should give the velocities you need, plenty of accuracy, and long barrel life.

------------------
Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
For "F" class shooting (any rifle up to 20lb in weight, any sight, prone with a rest or bipod) I have a 6.5x55 and a 6mmBR.
The 260 Rem is going to perform essentially the same as the 6.5x55 which is just fine for 1000 yd shooting.
In a 6mm the 6BR shoots better than the 6mm/250 and achieves nearly the same velocities. Not a good feeder though and so a poor choice for any kind of rapid fire competition but as a single shot a better choice. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
Bill,
Have you found any particular favorite with respect to bullets in those two sizes? To me, they trajectory and wind drift are similar enough that it really comes down to potential accuracy.
Within the components of the cartridge, the main components are bullet, powder, primer, and brass. All of these must be right on in order to get the best combination possible. The one which really has me stumped is which cartridge will give me the ultimate accuracy potential at longer range without being "too much". Even though the 50 cal. might very well be the ultimate long range combination, in my book it is "too much", as is anything more powerful than a 6.5-284
For quite some time I seriously considered a 6.5mm wildcat based on a shortened 300 WSM case in order to get about 5 grains less powder capacity as the 6.5-284 in a shorter and fatter case with a nice long neck and radiused shoulders like the Weatherby cartridges because on paper it appears to be the ideal ratio of length to diameter for a 6.5mm bullet. So far I have dropped this as being impractical due to the amount of shortening required for the WSM cases. One of the things I have been hoping is that with the present Short Magnum craze some manufacturer will do a 6mm short magnum with a body short enough for my purpose. I have expectations that it will happen sometime in the next five years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
At present I'm working with the 142 and 140 Sierra in the 6.5 and the 107 in the 6BR. These are working well enough that I'm not likely to change anytime soon. Both are very pleasant to shoot in the 13 to 14 1/2lb rifles I'm using. Both are easy to load for and are accurate. I think the BR may have a bit of an edge in the accuracy dept but I'll know more after some more work. A new BR with a gain twist barrel should be shooting some time within the next month or so. I have high hopes! I'll be testing one I've built for a customer in a couple of weeks with the same barrel and similar configuration so will get a preview.
My personal opinion is that any cartridge that will drive a bullet of good BC at 2700fps or more is a good one. I don't like to burn any more powder than necessary to do the job which is what makes the 6BR so attractive. None the less I'm still favoring the 6.5x55. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bruce,
I should have mentioned that I use an 8 inch twist in both calibers. A uniform 8 in the 6.5 and a gain twist finishing at 7.9 in the 6. I have always had better results with 8s in the 6.5s. Regards, Bill.

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
It has been quite a while but I have gotten the finished rifle back from the gunsmith and am now starting load evelopment.
Right now I am breaking in the 260 barrel and limiting the bullet to the Sierra 142 grain Matchking in order to minimize variables while doing initial load testing and brass forming.
Reloader 19 and Vv550 are the first two powders that I am testing. The first three shots at 100 yards after getting the scope on paper were using 38 grains of Vv550. The first two bullets were visually thru the same hole with the third shot opening things up about 1/2 a bullet diameter (approx 1/8 MOA group). Velocity from the 27" barrel was running 2618 to 2632 fps at 20 ft.
I cleaned the bore and then took some shots at 200 yards. The first 3 shots were with 38.5 grains of Vv550 and were all touching. Rather than cleaning the bore I decided to try another group. This one opened up to about 1 MOA but because it was starting to get dark the chronograph did not get velocity readings.
It was getting late so I cleaned the rifle and packed up. This evening I will try again and this time clean after 3 shots for a while. There were a couple of other issues I had to take care of with the rifle yesterday evening because the scope would not adjust down enough to get a 200 yard zero. Strictly a case of playing with the Burris signature ring inserts but that should get cleared up this evening.
In a couple of weeks I should have the 260 barrel squared away and will be able to break in the 22-250 barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
in 6 mm

if you no need magazine feeding

6 NORMA BR with 1 in 8
or 6 DASHER with 1 in 8

If you need magazine feeding

6 X with 1 in 8

in 6.5

260 REM with tighter neck and longer throat

6.5x55 tight throat to avoid broad original throat design and with load at 308 WIN pressure level you are not far from 6.5/284 with better barrel life , in 6.5x55 you can use Lapua brass which give you BR quality brass .

6.5x55 AI ( same throat as 6.5xx5 ) to get few fps more

Forget 6.5x68 that a real barrel burner and heat the barrel very fast if you shooy group ( that a hunting camiber ) , original chambering have a broad CIP throat design and brass cost the price of gold .

good shooting

I use 6 Norma BR 1 in 8 BORDER 28 inch in RPA ACTION

6.5x55 tight chamber in 1 in 8.5 Border 28 inch in RPA ACTION ( swicht on 6 nORMA BR rifle )
my 6.5x55 will be better in 30 inch but I need to change the barrel

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
It seems to have great potential. When it's ready shoot a ten shot group.

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
15 shot groups will be next month because that is when the next match happens. 15 shots at 300 yards, 15 at 500, 15 at 600.
I don't expect the first match to be anything more than a preliminary ironing out.
So far I am getting 2825 fps from 46 grains of Reloader 19 and Sierra 142 grain Matchkings. The accuracy of that particular load sucks, but I am confident that a bit of ironing out with regard to the seated length and powder charge will get me below the 1/2 MOA threshhold.