New
Find
Notify
Tools

10.75x68--question on dies and brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My rifle maker will have the gun in my hands by my birthday in April. Finish on stock is drying, blueing is all that's left. For those of you that load this caliber, what dies do you use? I had Dave at CH make the dies for the 9.3x64 and have been pleased with them. Should I send a couple of fired cases to the die maker? I have some brass, two boxes of Bertram, and some factory ammo, a box of RWS and a box of Kynoch, both solids. Do any of you guys swedge down .430 bullets for plinking? Source for brass?
Thanks for any advise forthcoming, Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have sold my nice matched pair of commercial Mausers in that chambering. but when I WAS loading for it, I used RCBS dies. I see no reason C-H (4-D) shouldn't work just as well, though, and these days they are likely less expensive since everything custom or semi-custom seems to have skyrocketed at RCBS.

For bullets, I use whatever I would use in my .404 Jeff. I also have a couple of moulds for cast bullets. At the moderate velocities we are talking about, they are quite adequate for plinking/practice.

I had plenty of Kynoch brass and berdan primers in those days, but if you can't find brass of the right sort, it is possible to make 10.75 brass by carefully opening up 8x68 brass. That, of course, is not as common as dog hair either, but it might be useful knowledge from time to time.

Good luck, it is a great little cartridge if loaded with other than the original factory 347 grain SP bullets. They were likely too fragile to be counted on in DG situations, depending on the velocity developed by the loads.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll give Dave a call to see if he needs fired brass. I know Lee makes dies for swedging. Might as well give them a call as I will need a factory crimp die also. Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote