Find
Notify
Tools

Well I am a bit stumped.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted
I picked up a Ruger Hawkeye a couple of weeks back in .280 Rem. I put 20 rounds through the the rifle on Monday cleaning after each one for the first five and then cleaning after each 3 shots for the last 15. The barrel fouled very little for the 20 shots. I got lucky I guess and got a pretty smooth barrel, I ain't complaning!

I went to the range yesterday after work to shoot the bullet I am planning on using for this upcoming hunting season. I zeroed the load 3" high at 100 yards and had 2 3 shot groups that were one ragged hole. Moving to 200 yards the load was still 1" high. With a 3x9 Scope my groups were in the 1-1/2" range which is plenty good for me. What really got me was the load still being one inch high at 200. I was not able to shoot at 300 yards to see what the resulting drop is based on my current zero.

I am thinking that the load I have now shoots more than flat enough and is very accurate.

56 grains of IMR-7828
Rem brass
CCI-200
Nosler 160 Accubond.

This has been the least amount of work I have put into working up a load in quite some time. Bear season opens here Sept 1st I was worried I would not be able to get this rifle ready in time.

To all the 280 shooters here what do you think? Untill I get my Chrono back I have no clue to the velocity numbers then again it probably don't matter a whole lot inside 300 yards.

One of Us
Picture of steve box
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain, I have a TIKKA T-3 2506 That is doing the same thing, only I get the same drop or lack of it using 85,100,117 Gr BTBT Nosler bullets. I tell people about it and they say I'm nuts

Following and duplicating a successful persons actions is worth ten thousand hard headed mistakes

Posts: 127 | Location: AL | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipster:

56 grains of IMR-7828
Rem brass
CCI-200
Nosler 160 Accubond.

To all the 280 shooters here what do you think? Untill I get my Chrono back I have no clue to the velocity numbers then again it probably don't matter a whole lot inside 300 yards.

My guess: 2750 f.p.s., +/- 75 f.p.s.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornDo you have exceptionally high scope mounts ? holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
popcornDo you have exceptionally high scope mounts ? holycowroger

No I do not believe so as the mounts are what were furnished with the rifle from Ruger, and the scope is sitting just right for me.

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
quote:
Originally posted by Hipster:

56 grains of IMR-7828
Rem brass
CCI-200
Nosler 160 Accubond.

My guess: 2750 f.p.s., +/- 75 f.p.s.

I was thinking between 2700-2800 myself which should give me a pretty good load for any game I will shoot from 300 yards or less. The only other question I have is, why did I not wise up sooner? what a sweet cartridge.

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
If your scope is 1.8" above the bore, the 160 gr. bullet @ 2800 fps sighted 3" high @ 100 will be 2.7" high @ 200, dead on @ 250 and -3.4" @ 300 yds. according to Norma ballistic program. My Nosler fifth edition did not list the 160 gr. AB so used BC for the 160 partition.

56.5 grains of IMR-7828 behind the 160 gr. NP,PG or FS bullet shows 2850 fps.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 916 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I'd drop my zero down to 2.5 in high at 100 or so, if 1 inch at 200 is still too high for you...

I zero all my big gamre scopes at 3.5 inches high at 100 yds except the old 30/30 and 444 marlin...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd drop my zero down to 2.5 in high at 100 or so, if 1 inch at 200 is still too high for you...

I zero all my big game scopes at 3.5 inches high at 100 yds except the old 30/30 and 444 marlin...

I have only ever sighted my rifles at 40mm high at 100m. But then again, I have never hunted big game. On smaller targets, I allowed for bullet drop at 200m and with tiny targets, I allowed for bullet rise at 100m. I am interested in understanding the concept of '3 " high' at 100yds. (The 40mm high @ 100m gave me 'dead on' aim up into trees and the like).

(I have this theory that there is a 'dead zone' in hunting, between 80 yds and 160 yds. In thick bush/brush game will be encountered within 80 yds and beyond 160 yds in open country. This is not based on personnel experience. My one and only example of being sighted in for 200m worked great at 200m but cost me closer in - that was for small game. Any truth in this? I am moving into bigger game territory - large to medium wild pig and red deer with smaller goat sized game thrown in).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedSomething is a little escue.Your indicated trajectry curve has a near fit at 2500 fps. and a zero near 215 yds.300 yds would be close to -8". bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3" high at 100, 1" high at 200. I'd leave it alone. Or you can take the government approach:
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is." Big Grin

Just as a guess, and you'd have to shoot it to find out, this should give you a point blank range out to close to 300 yards. Say, 275 maybe.

One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
I have to shoot this load at 300 yards just to see what it is doing. I am going to continue working up hopefully accuracy will remain if not this load should work for most of what I need done.

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Sounds to be like you've got a good load. Are your groups good?

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hm1996:
If your scope is 1.8" above the bore, the 160 gr. bullet @ 2800 fps sighted 3" high @ 100 will be 2.7" high @ 200, dead on @ 250 and -3.4" @ 300 yds. according to Norma ballistic program. My Nosler fifth edition did not list the 160 gr. AB so used BC for the 160 partition.
56.5 grains of IMR-7828 behind the 160 gr. NP,PG or FS bullet shows 2850 fps.
Regards,
hm

THis is exactly my working load in my 23"bbl. 280. It does indeed make 2825fps-2850fps & the drop numbers are pretty much what I get. It has a very thin bbl. but if I let it cool a bit between shots, I have broken 3" @ 300 a couple times.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote