New
Find
Notify
Tools

semi-auto 243?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’ve been reloading for +20 years but I have never reloaded for a semi-auto before. My daughter is shooting a Browning BAR in 243. I heard about the problems with reloading for autos, but they do make the xsizer die in 243, so my question to you guys is it a real problem? I can’t find any “good” factory ammo for this at the local shops, and I was a little shocked at the price of factory ammo with Partitions (I haven’t bought a box of ammo in a long time).

Thanks - beer

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I don't know about 243s, but I used to have a Winchester Model 100 in 308. It was good from 150-180 grains; just needed to avoid "hot loads" - so most factory loads were fine - ballistic and soft nose.

I'd just use regular 243 loads from the reloading manuals.

My friend has a 270 BAR and it shoots everything fine, don't expect you'll have any issues with the 243. I'd stay in the 95-100 grain range.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3063 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
F/L resize your brass and you shouldn't have a problem. Don't try to load it too hot. If you do have a problem with the cartridges going into battery, you can get a small base die.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I reload 260 Rem for an AR-10 with regular RCBS Competition dies. I've had them through the rifle four times so far and they're still fine.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12607 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the BAR has had a reputation for tight chambers. you may or may not need small base sizing die. Only way to tell is to shoot it

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a problem with a BAR being finicky about well-constructed reloads. The BAR is one of the most reliable and accurate autoloading centerfire sporters on the market. "Small base" dies almost by definition are only needed when the head of the brass is expanded beyond its elasticity limits due to excessive pressures. A normal FL die should do you just fine.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive got a 300 win mag browning auto. I use small base dies RCBS and a little crimp seems to help them chamber. Its a old long 300 win. so its draggin alot of brass in and out of the chamber.