Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Flextip Bullets
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone had any experience loading them? Are they intended for just singleshot pistols or can they be loaded for revolvers too? What about performance on game? Accuracy?

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I haven`t tried loading them, but I would suspect you will find in some revolvers the tips will tend to want to extend out the front of the cykinder. This could tie up the gun. I`d talk to a tech at the company that makes the bullet to be sure you will have cleanerance if no one responds that has experiance with them.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't loaded any for a pistol but I have for a 32 Winchester Special and they loaded like regular bullets do.
They hit a little harder that round nose do but have not tried them on game yet.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load em for 450Marlin and 45/70 a lot. My rifles like em. Good on game, but not many animals going to do well when hit with 325gr 45 cal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
double post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load them in the 30-30 with LeveRevolution powder. 2450 fps from my 24" M94AE with exclellent accuracy. The factory LeveRevolution does the same velocity BTW out of that rifle. Excellent bullets and excellent powder. The M94AE along with the Marlin XTRs can use scopes easily. They with the flextip bullets or the factory LeveRevolution ammo hold very well to 300 yards for deer, antelope, etc.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
I have used them in the 450 Bushmaster and my friend has used them in the 444 Marlin.

444 Marlin = 265 grs @ 2,335 fps = 3,180 ft-lbs.
450 Bushmaster = 250 grs @ 2,200 = 2,686 ft-lbs.

This first one was a pig shot with the 444 Marlin. It was a real pumper with the carotid artery being severed, causing blood to squirt high into the air with each beat of the exsanguinating heart.

The second pig was a running shot with the 450 Bushmaster that took the lower jaw and anterior neck off.

I have killed many other pigs with one-shot kills with the 450 Bushmaster, but I don't have any postmortem photos to demonstrate the bullet performance. Needless to say, and previously mentioned, any 250+ grain bullet traveling in excess of 2,000 fps is going to cause pure hell to whatever it makes contact with.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hornady website has specific reloading info for their flex tips. It is different.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote