New
Find
Notify
Tools

765 brass from 8mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
this is my first time on, so my question is? I got 8 mm brass, could I run the brass through the 765 die. its a redding die. I know I will have to trim.This is my first time loading for this cartridge, any loads? I got varget, R19, IMR4320, IMR 4350, H4350, and 4895. the action is 09. Should be gettin the dies in mail today or tomorrow.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to reload for the 7.65 Arg mauser???
I've got some ammo you can have for the cost of shipping. 19 rounds of norma and about 30 to 40rounds of 1978 surplus. The stuff shots great. My 1891 is going to be a 220 swift here soon.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kcstott. I wasn't gonna at first, was gonna by hornady ammo from grafs. Was on ebay and seen dies for it and had to get it. I was planning on using 150gr but not sure yet. Oh yeah your offer does sound good, how would I go about doing that.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingI have made 7.65 brass from 06 cases. you should have no problem with 8x57 cases. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the brass I have formed for the 7.65 has been from 8x57. As Rodger says, no problem. Powders that work for me are 4895 and 4064.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Kennedy
Check your PM

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
this is my first time on, so my question is? I got 8 mm brass, could I run the brass through the 765 die. its a redding die. I know I will have to trim.This is my first time loading for this cartridge, any loads? I got varget, R19, IMR4320, IMR 4350, H4350, and 4895. the action is 09. Should be gettin the dies in mail today or tomorrow.

Pick a case that is easy to find once fired that you don't currently use. Either a .270 or .30-06. Pick up a good supply of one ore the other with a single head stamp and make your cases. they will be to long and you will have to cut them off. Your chamber neck will be large enough to use them. They will be cheaper but more work than the 8X57 brass.
8X57 is ok too is that is what you want to start with. But usually if you got one Mauser you also have several others and some are 8X57 too.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Get yourself some Imperial sizing die wax. It will make your life a lot easier forming cases.

Also, try 45 gr. of IMR 4064 and 150 gr Hornady (312) bullet. That's the most accurate load I've found for my Argentine.

Good luck, Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
While it is certainly easy to make 7,65x53 brass from 8x57, '06, .270 or the like, it makes more sense to me since it is available to use correctly headstamped brass. The Serbian-made Prvi Partizan ammo for 7,65 is only about $15 a box and I have found their brass to be very good.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Kennedy
Well I only have 19 rounds by Norma that are boxer primed. The 1978 stuff is berdan primed.
Free to anyone that want's it just cover the shipping

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
kcstott, if you still got em i'll take em, sorry I didn't answer back, not really a computer user still new. I got my dies yesterday, 1 more question? whats the minumum and maximum length the cases should be? I don't got my books by me at the moment cause i aint at home.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
whats the minumum and maximum length the cases should be? I don't got my books by me at the moment cause i aint at home.

Max. case length=2.106"

Over all cartridge length=2.992"

Roll EyesAs a suggestion the final trim on the case you make from 8x57 cases or whatever should be 2.095" fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is some Mauser miscellany.
The chambers for the three 7.65 Mausers that I have measured were 2.135 long. Trimming short of that is primarily a squaring up process. It appears the Germans added 1mm for clearance.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7.65x53 = Belgian/German designation
7.65x54 = Argentine "

7.62x53R = Finnish "
7.62x54R = Russian "

I think we'll agree that the rounds are interchangeable. Why the 1mm difference?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
7.65x53 = Belgian/German designation
7.65x54 = Argentine
I think we'll agree that the rounds are interchangeable. Why the 1mm difference?

The book I got the length measurement from has the max. length at 2.106"
  • 53mm = 2.087"
  • 54mm = 2.126"

Conclusion::: Maybe it should be 7.65 X 53.5mm. That's what happens after the fourth cup of coffee. nillyroger

•  
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I've made 7.65 Argentine Mauser brass from 7X57mm brass without a problem. When necking down a cartridge (as opposed to necking up) you must insure that the neck wall doesn't thicken to the point where it may interfere with bullet seating and chamber pressure.

Posts: 54 | Location: Nassau County, NY | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    stirI was told that the reason some of the Finn ammo is marked 7.62x53 and some was marked 7.62x54 is the Finn used 308" barrels on their Mod 39 m-n rifles and the 7.62x53 was loaded with 308" and the 7.62x54 was loaded w .311" bullets.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of El Deguello
    posted Hide Post
    I made some from 7X57mm brass by expanding up to .30 cal., then trimming to 53mm. Worked fine in my 7.65X53 M1909 Argentine.......

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    would it be possible to use 30 caliber bullets in this round? I seen somewhere in AR I think in favorite reloads that some one used paper patching on a 30 cal bullet. How would that be done? can some one help?

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    8x57 -> 7x57 -> 257 Roberts always works.

308 -> .243 only works when the neck is thin enough to fit in the .243 chamber.

30-06 -> 338-06 -> 35 Whelen always works.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of kcstott
    posted Hide Post
    Chris
    The ammo is on it's way

www.KLStottlemyer.com

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    would it be possible to use 30 caliber bullets in this round? I seen somewhere in AR I think in favorite reloads that some one used paper patching on a 30 cal bullet. How would that be done? can some one help?

I've used 308's, they work OK in my rifles, but aren't super accurate. If you really want to shoot your 7.65 inexpensively, go with cast bullets. Lee makes a single cavity .311" 180gr mold. I think they're right around 20 bucks.

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by craigster:
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by kennedy:
    If you really want to shoot your 7.65 inexpensively, go with cast bullets. Lee makes a single cavity .311" 180gr mold. I think they're right around 20 bucks.

Good idea ! If you would like to try some cast gas checked bullts about 177gr..314 dia. let me know quickly as I am just now resizeing them to .308. I can spare about 100 for .07 each + postage. popcornroger

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    KCSTOTT Thanks again, To BARTSCHE, I wouldn't mind trying some cast bullets,don't know much about em though. Again thanks to every one for the information. I made 10 brass over the weekend out of 06 cases. I was excited to shoot my rifle. I believe I used 46 gr of H4350 and 150gr hornady's. Was fun to shoot. I think I'll try it this coming hunting season. About whats the range on this cartridge. I feel comfortable out to 300yds with some guns with scopes ofcourse.