New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading steel shotshells
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anybody els reloading shotshells with steel?
I loaded a few with a published recipe but have never seen a wad get deformed like this. What would overpressure indications be on a shotshell anyway?

Posts: 125 | Location: Altus, OK,USA | Registered: 30 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gene'
Check with Ballistic Products, they are the shotshell reloading guru's. Do a google search for there web site and you will find a load(pun not intended) of information.
John

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been reloading steel forever with no problems. Some of the stuff published by B.P. seemed to be on the +P side for me. Check out Precision Reloading for components etc. I have found their loading info. to be very good. One hint, with steel I always weigh every powder charge and every shot charge. Doing this I get very consistent results. Pressure signs in shotgun ammo are tough. You can mike case heads and compare them to factory loads. Stick to published data and you should be ok.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm using data from Reloading Specialties. They have some 1775 fps loads. I ran a few across the chrony and the velocity is close. But I've never seen a wad deform like from this load.
Gene

Posts: 125 | Location: Altus, OK,USA | Registered: 30 March 2001Reply With Quote