New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred brand of .222 brass???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've just bought a .222 after wanting one a long time. Does anyone have a preference on brass for this caliber?

Thanks,

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a 222 preference isn't going to matter much, availability will! I used to compete with a 222 way back when and you really only saw two choices, Remington or LaPua, and perhaps Norma was also available, but I am not sure. I used Remington with zero problems. The 223 sadly over shadowed the more accurate 222 in a hurry.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1620 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No problems with any brass I've used. I own two .222s and keep the brass separate between the guns by using Remington Nickel in one and some Lapua (which I came by extraordinarily reasonably) in the other. However, I have used W-W and R-P regular brass with equal success. Hmmmm. . . . come to think of it, I've even used reformed .223 brass from Herters years ago. Don't know of any "bad" brass out there for .222.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't know of any "bad" brass out there for .222.

Gotta agree, 'cept I draw the line where S&B starts - opinions vary

Wanting & getting a .222 is a good thing!

With reasonably assembled loads & good branded components I think you really go outa your way to screw up with the .222 Remington - just a great cartridge - period.

I'm spoiled since I got a source for once-fired RWS .222 brass - it's certainly long-lasting brass and makes up into some very accurate loads.

Like Stonie, I also use the R-P 100 bags of nickled-plated brass for the .222 Remington and it ia also very good IMO.

Since I've got a highly accurate heavy-barreled target rifle as a Test-Bed - I'm spoiled again. If a load (usualy a "new" bullet test) won't put 5 into one ragged hole I simply discount it as not worth pursuing.

Then after attempting to dick around with success (why, do we do this?) I got ahold of some Sako, Lapua, Norma & W-W .222 brass. Couldn't tell the difference from any of the others brands of brass already mentioned.

I will admit that in both the .222 & .223 Remingtons after quite a few (@10) firings irrespective of what brand or type (nickeled or brass) of brass the culprit ends up being 3-5 split necks (normally not all the way to the mouth, either; just a split in the neck) outa 100 - then the whole batch goes in the bin.

Have fun with your new .222 - mine loves H322, VVN-130 and Speer 50 gr. TNT's. You won't go wrong with H or IMR-4198, either.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Lapua stopped making .222 Rem brass Mad .... just like they stopped making .270 Win ... Mad Mad

If I had not recently heard a rumour that RWS brass was no longer imported into the US (is this really true?), I would have suggested RWS. It really is excellent brass.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the input. It looks like my choices are going to be Remington or Winchester since it seems no one has anything else in stock.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Winchester 223 brass. It is good stuff. I would never have dreamed that they would still be selling 222 brass; it may be one of their seasonal runs of low demand calibers.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1620 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have fun with your new .222 - mine loves H322, VVN-130 and Speer 50 gr. TNT's.

I use either H-335 or 4895 with the said Speer 50 grain TNTs in one of my .222s. It's a Sako sporter and those TNT's never stray more than a half-inch from the center of one to the center of another at 100 yards. And they absolutely explode prairie dogs. GREAT little bullet, and fairly economical, too.

Unfortunately, the 55 gr TNT didn't do nearly as well in my .22-250.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would never have dreamed that they would still be selling 222 brass; it may be one of their seasonal runs of low demand calibers.

I'm thinking I will buy 500 so I have a good supply and don't have to be looking for it.

quote:
It's a Sako sporter and those TNT's never stray more than a half-inch from the center of one to the center of another at 100 yards.

I'm continually amazed at the accuracy reports on .222s. Mine is (when it arrives!) a Browning A Bolt Varmint Stalker, and I have high hopes.

Thanks again,

LWD

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
I'm spoiled since I got a source for once-fired RWS .222 brass - it's certainly long-lasting brass and makes up into some very accurate loads.

Indeed, most German shooting ranges where the DJV disciplines are shot!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonie,

quote:
GREAT little bullet, and fairly economical, too.

Back in the "Good Ole Days" (say, 18 months ago.....) when the 50 gr. TNT's were @ $88.00 per 1,000 in the Speer Plastic Boxes I have been known to return from a Stateside Busines Trip with 5 in one Samsonite. Equals 1 Baggage Allowance!

Big Grin

DUKie,

quote:
Indeed, most German shooting ranges where the DJV disciplines are shot!

and we don't wanna forget that very reloadable RWS 22 Hornet brass, either!

Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LWD

quote:
Mine is (when it arrives!) a Browning A Bolt Varmint Stalker, and I have high hopes.

Sorry to omit you in the thread - have fun with your new Browning, let us knw how you get along?

Cheers,

Number 10

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...and we don't wanna forget that very reloadable RWS 22 Hornet brass, either!

Big Grin

No so many down here, it took me quite a while to hamster a promised delivery for a forum member in Sweden...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Back in the "Good Ole Days" (say, 18 months ago.....) when the 50 gr. TNT's were @ $88.00 per 1,000 in the Speer Plastic Boxes I have been known to return from a Stateside Busines Trip with 5 in one Samsonite. Equals 1 Baggage Allowance!

May I guess, you bartered once fired .222 and Hornet brass for bullets?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No so many down here

Where U at?

No, Sir!

Ida liked to have that option open to me but as a NON-resident cannot "Import" even with a BATFE Form.

Cheers,

Number 10

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stuttgart, im Schwobeländle...

one of us
posted Hide Post
LWD.....Right now I have Hornady, Winchester, Remington, and Federal brass on the shelf. I like it all......
If I didn't have any, and was looking to stock up on some; I would call Pat Garrett at Blue Star Brass. He sells once-fired Remington brass that he gets from the factory near his home.
http://www.blue-star-inc.com/ Grant.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE Minnesota | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
Thank you all for the input. It looks like my choices are going to be Remington or Winchester since it seems no one has anything else in stock.

LWD

Check out Huntingtons.com, RCBS. They had some when I made a purchase from them a few weeks ago.

Don