New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes X accuracy
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all!
I have been struggling to get decent accuracy with the X bullets in my 338 Win Mag. I have tried several different powders behind the bullets, but without any luck.
The best load I found so far (I posted this load at the www.reloadersnest.com site, www.reloadersnest.com/detail.asp?CaliberID=71&Bullet=Barnes+X&LoadID=123 ), but still not getting anything better then 3� MAO.

Do you pro�s have any advices or suggestions I could try?
What about the XLC bullet?

Morten

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Besides making sure the barrel is clean down to bare steel, maybe try altering the seating depth a little. I got lucky, 225gr over 68gr of IMR4350 gave very nice groups. It was the first test rounds I fired. Be careful this is 1/2gr over max. Or you may just have one of those barrels that unfortunatly does not like the X.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
I believe that you are supposed to seat the bullet a minimum of .05 inch off the lands as a starting place, where most bullets like to be started off at .01 inch off the lands. Tom Purdom

<30-378Weatherby>
posted
I just shot some 150 grain Barnes XLC out of my 30-378. I got a sub 1" group at 100 yards. I found that by adjusting my seating depth as mentioned earlier I could control my accuracy to an extent. Of course in Weatherby rifles there is a little freebore in front of the chamber so I seated my bullets to the maximum length allowed so the cartridge would still fit in my magazine. Experiment with the seating depth and maybe give the XLC's a shot. Good luck.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for your advices. On the next opportunity, I think I�ll try with a bit lighter bullet and vary the setting depth. As far as can recall, I believe all the Barnes X loads I have made, are done with less then 0.05� off the lands (closer to 0.01�) Also try to be more careful with the barrel cleaning the next time.

Morten

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I'd do what Barnes reccomends. Clean the barrel with CR-10, until there is no copper fouling left in the barrel. Also, .050" off the lands. I've gotten MOA groups with 130 gr. XBT's in my 7mm Mag by following this advice.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
To make barnes X shoot...

start .050 off the rifling... and load five there, and move .005 MORE back for 3 or 4 more group of 5.. when it gets to where you want it... try moving +- .001 up and down a little...

that is, for guns that dont just shooting em first time.

jeffe

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote