Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 barrel rate of twist
 Login/Join

posted
I have just purchased a Kimber 84M varmit rifle(1 in 14 twist). I had a great load for 55 grain bullets for a previous remington rifle ( 1 in 12 twist) but cannot get 55 grain bullets of any kind to shoot accurately much less the 60 grain partitions I had really hoped to load for. I did a little research an Lija barrels says they recomend a 1 in 12 twist for a 55 to 60 grain bullet. I know that the lenght of bullet is more critical than weight but the two gennerally follow. My question is will changing the velocity of the load help stabilize the bullets. If I slow them down or speed them up will it make a differane. The gun will put 5 50gr V-max bullets in the same hole using Benchmark powder, but I had hoped to work up a 60 grain load for whitetail doe. Can anyone help me?

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Changing velocity will have very little, if any effect, in stabilizing a bullet exiting from a barrel with the wrong twist.

What you pick-up in stabilization is offset but the aerodynamic forces which caused the destabilization in the first place.

Your 1:14 twist is best suited for .224 bullets with lengths of 0.603" to 0.645".

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did exactly what you are doing with my 22-250 a while back. I really wanted to shoot the 55s in my 1/14 barrel but couldn't get any accuracy out of them at all velocities. I moved down to the 50s and presto, .25-.5" groups. It's not the bullet I wanted, but I had to settle with it. I just have to use better shot placement. But then again, does shot placement really matter on groundhogs?

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a rare 1-14" barrel that won't stabilize a 55 grain bullet, even the super-long polymer-tipped bullets.

Note that I said "stabilize", not "shoot accurately".

The accuracy you get from a particular bullet depends on an array of factors, not just twist rate. Before you jump to the conclusion that a too-slow twist is your culpret, try some 60-grain Hornady's (likely the best .22 deer bullet available according to those who've tried them) or some 64 grain WW's. If your results show keyholing in the paper at 100 yards, then it may well be the twist rate that is your problem, but I think you'll discover otherwise.

[ 07-23-2003, 22:53: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what the factory ruger mkII .22-250 sporter weight barrel twist is?? This gun was new in december. I can't find any info on what twist the barrel is in I would assume 1 in 12 any one know for sure

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cummins cowboy:
Does anyone know what the factory ruger mkII .22-250 sporter weight barrel twist is?? This gun was new in december. I can't find any info on what twist the barrel is in I would assume 1 in 12 any one know for sure

Measure it...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote