New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about a 300 Win mag load
 Login/Join

<Axel>
posted
Anyone use or know of anyone using a load anywhere near this one.

300 Winchester magnum
Remington brass full length sized
CCI 200 primer
Remington 150grain Core Lokt bullets
80 grains of IMR 4350

This load is WAY OVER THE TOP in every reloading manual I have referenced. There is a guy at work though that swears by it in his M70. He keeps telling me to try it in my M70.

What do you all think?

Thanks,
Axel

<phurley>
posted
I would certainly start lower. Maybe starting at less than max that the manuals say for IMR-4350, then gradually work my way up to the load. I would never start at what is considered a hot load in any of my rifles for the first use of that powder, always work up to it. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot it across a chronograph!

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Quickload you're 10 thousand psi over the saami max. I personally would not use that load. If you want to try it start 10% lower and work up looking for signs of pressure. Use caution.

Posts: 66 | Location: Troy Montana | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a 300 Weatherby.

I am involved in a almost endless discussion at HA and my opposite keeps referencing a 300 WM and the topic is the 300 H&H.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Axel>
posted
Savage99, it is a 300 Winchester magnum. I have shot it before. He told me yesterday that the chrono'd muzzle velocity was 3580 fps average. The cases I have seen do not show pressure signs, although the primers are about as flat as I would think you would ever want to see them.

I loaded up some rounds starting with 74 g, increasing by 1 grain at a time to 80g. I will take the rifle out and see what happens this weekend. BY THE WAY...74grains IS A MAXIMUM LOAD IN MY RELOADING BOOKS. I HAVE SHOT IT IN MY RIFLE BEFORE SO I KNOW IT IS SAFE. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE START WITH THIS LOAD! I will add it shot like crap in my rifle too.

Axel

one of us
posted Hide Post
Axel;
When I read your first post it brought to mind a vision of an OLD TV series, "Lost in Space" [Eek!]
I don't know if you remember it or maybe you're not old enough to remember it. [Wink]
But all I can think of about this "LOAD" is where the "Robot" would flail it's arms and proclaim: "WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!" Danger, Wil Robinson ! [Eek!]
The smartest thing to do here would be to take out a life insurance policy on your friend. [Wink]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
I wish I could be kinder with my answer to your 80 grain charge with 150 grain bullet in the 300 Winchester Magnum. Only a fool would shoot that load or suggest it to a fellow shooter to try. My book shows 74 grains as Max and that is a full 6 grains above max. Most reloading manuals can vary by one or two grains on max for any given load. When you exceed the maximum load listed by 6 grains your asking for a catstrophic failure.

You know they put those do not exceed the maximum load listed in those reloading manuals for a good reason. That reason is so you don't blow up the rifle and you with it. You better take someone with you and have them stand behind a tree while you fire those overloads. Should your rifle blow up they can call for help while you pick rifle parts from your face if your able to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
4 what [Eek!] it's worth p.o. ackley vol. II lists
80 grains of 4350 max. at 3515 fps 150 grn. bullet!

Posts: 63 | Location: ga | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hyena
posted Hide Post
That's what I use for a 110grain. Never tried more than 75 for the 150g. [Eek!]
80 with the 110 is a real flame thrower

Posts: 38 | Location: Michiganistan | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
IMR-4350 From 60.3 grains to 80.0 grains
Winchester WLR Primer

But you might find that RL-22 From 69.5 grains to 81.5 grains and Winchester WLR primer will give you a better load.

[ 03-30-2003, 07:28: Message edited by: ricciardelli ]

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR shows 76.0 grs as max with a 150 gr bullet for the .300 Winchester Magnum. Nosler #5 shows 74.0 as maximum. www.imrpowder.com/rifle/300wm_0_data.html

I could not in good concience suggest going over these ranges. Some rifles will take more than others of course.

Keep in mind that when you fire a gun there is an controlled explosion going off in front of your face and eyes. I just don't see the point of shooting a 150 gr bullet "just a little faster" in a 300 WM anyway. Once that firing pin or hammer is released you can't stop it or duck.

[ 03-30-2003, 19:51: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Axel>
posted
Gentlemen, thanks to all of you for your comments. I am fully aware that the load was far in excess of what is published as MAXIMUM loads in, I believe every common reloading manual.

I took my rifle out and tried the following loads:

Remington brass
CCI 200 primers
Remington 150gr Core Lokt

74grains of IMR4350 - 1.6" @ 100 yards
75 gr of IMR4350 - 1.8" @ 100 yds
76 gr of IMR4350 - 1.75" @ 100 yds
77 gr of IMR4350 - 1.75" @ 100 yd
78 gr of IMR 4350 - 1.6" @ 100 yds
79 gr of IMR 4350 - 1.5" @ 100 yds
80 gr of IMR 4350 - 1" @ 100 yds
80 gr of IMR 4350 - .75" @ 100 yds
80 gr of IMR 4350 - .8" @ 100 yds

All groups are 3 shot groups. The first
two 80 grain loads are my reloads, the third was my friend's reload. There were no pressure signs. I admit to being shocked by the sudden tightening up of the groups. My rifle shot better than my friend's did too.

ricciardelli, I will try Rel22 based off of your post.

Axel

one of us
posted Hide Post
Axel,
In "Game Loads and Practical Ballistics for the American Hunter" author Bob Hagel lists 79 gr of 4350 for a 300 Win Mag with a 150 gr bullet. He suggests starting 4 gr under and working up. My experience with his published loads from this book is that they are very hot for my guns.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Axel:
Sounds like a compressed load. Was powder all the
way up to the shoulder of the case at 80 grains?
Was recoil smoother and less sharp? Was any muzzle
blast seen? Sometimes compressed loads burn better
and in the first 2-3inches of the barrel. There is a good discussion on compressed loads at the
following address.
http://64.176.3.52/reloadingtips.htm

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Axel>
posted
BLR7, the load wasn't compressed, but just beginning to touch. If you shook the loaded cartridges you could just hear the powder rattle.
I cannot comment on the muzzle blast as I could not see it, nor did I ask anyone at the range. The recoil was not noticeably different from the 74g load up to the 80 grain load.

Greg R, I would consider this a hot load. Not too hot in my rifle, but definitely a hot load.

Axel

posted Hide Post
Axel,
Following is my 150 Nos ballistic tip load,
74gr I-4350, (I'm sure I could use more powder without pressure problems, my max is probably 76 or 77grains with this powder.)
Rem brass,
Fed match large rifle magnum primer.
This load yields 3425fps out of my 26" .300 win mag. Accuracy is good with 150 Nosler Ballistic Tips.

With 150 Barnes XLC I got 3530fps with 77grains of I-4350 but there were pressure signs, 76grains was ok. No amount of tinkering with those bullets would get me less than 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

I prefer the 165gr Ballistic tip or Partition,
80gr RL22 at 3425fps
80gr H4831 at 3380fps (best accuracy)
rem brass, fed match primer.
I get pretty much the same results with Nosler Partitions. Excellent accuracy with both.

Posts: 11 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With Quote