Find
Notify
Tools

Re-sizing question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted
There appears to be 2 schools of thought.
And I am referring to a hunting round here, not a benchrest or target round.
1) when resizing a case, do not touch the shoulder and the bolt should close snug with a bit of pressure on the shoulder.
2) when resizing, just "bump" the shoulder so the bolt closes easily.
Can we have some comment here please.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I choose #2...bolt closes easily, and I want to resize just enough to accomplish that. Then I cycle every round through the magazine and into and out of the chamber to 'proof' each handload.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For varmint hunting, prefer #1.

For deer, elk, moose, bear, cats, pigs, and all African game, prefer #2.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was hunting critters that are bigger than me, or those that bite, I would go with the #2 process!
You don't really want to have a cartridge in your chamber that won't let the bolt close when you have fangs and claws coming at you!
Just my two cents.
Chuck

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Stoney Point Cartridge Headspace Gauge for setting up sizer dies. You'll get the best of both worlds because you measure a fired case from that rifle with the gauge and a caliper then you adjust the sizing die to set the shoulder back a couple of thousandths. The bolt will close with the slightest bit of resistance which, in my way of thinking, extends brass life because it doesn't have to expand very much to fill the chamber area and make a seal. Make sure that the cases are properly trimmed if needed and everything should be fine.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually go with #1 in a bolt gun, or single shot, and #2 with lever actions. I would assume that you should go with #2 for pumps and auto's also.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys have to realize where 500nitro is from!

AFRICA....Where big things can bite you! This is not the place or time to be worried about "case life"!

Shooting at the range is a completely different thing!

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load for 11 different calibers and have found I'm most satisfied when I set up the sizer to just make contact with the shell holder. That's enough to allow for bolt closing fairly easily. I've been careless a time or two and failed to make this contact. It's no fun at the range having to slam the bolt home to get closure. An ounce of prevention goes a long way here. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I actually set mine up so that the full length sizing die "just touches" the shoulder. You feel a "lil bit" of friction when you close the bolt but not much. Once in a while the expander button WILL drag the shoulder forward and then you end up with quite a bit of friction. [Frown]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote for #2 for hunting loads as I like them to
feed easily but with just a very slight snugness.
I screw the sizing die until it just touches the
shell holder and then give the die another 1/4 turn and lock the ring down. This gives the ram
a slight springing feel when raised against the die. I also run these loaded rounds through the
rifle to make certain of good fit after reloading.
I want that same snug feel at the range as well as out hunting. To me factory ammo feels too loose
for accuracy! BLR7. [Cool]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.
I also run with #2 for hunting loads and check-cycle every round before packing them into the ammo cases.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am new to reloading and frankly am a little confused at differing opinions on die set-up.

My RCBS dies come with directions that say to lower the die fully and then add another quarter turn. The redding dies I have just are to be lowered, locked, and used. Then, I here about leaving the dies up a quarter turn or so from bottoming on the button and progressivley lowered as you try a test round (empty of powwder) in your chamber. Yet again, some suggest neck-sizing new brass first!

Its enuff to make a guy take up golf. 1b

Posts: 51 | Location: Reston VA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I like a little "feel" when closing the bolt, during warm weather, but don't want to have to fight to get it closed!! When you go hunting, the temperature is usually a lot lower than in the summer when you are doing your load workup, so the cartridge case has shrunk a little, making bolt closing even easier. [Wink] However, for dangerous game loads, or ammo for an expensive hunt, I use NEW CASES that I have chambered in the rifle both before and after loading them, to make sure they ALL chamber and extract without dragging the bullet out and dumping the action full of powder!

[ 08-27-2003, 18:30: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
eldeguello;
Think about what you just said! You stated that you usually hunted in cooler weather and therefore, your brass had a chance to shrink a little due to the temperature!
The chamber of the firearm also changes with temperature!
Chuck

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MSSmagnum:
I actually set mine up so that the full length sizing die "just touches" the shoulder. You feel a "lil bit" of friction when you close the bolt but not much. Once in a while the expander button WILL drag the shoulder forward and then you end up with quite a bit of friction. [Frown]

DITTO for me.

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote