New
Find
Notify
Tools

fireforming brass
 Login/Join

<thomas purdom>
posted
I seem to be dragging this along. My little brother bought a .256 Newton and I am in the process of getting some loading data to reload some cartridges for him. He's going to get some .270 Win brass as that is what this book I have said to get and then just use the RCBS dies to make the .256 Newton. Should he cases be fireformed after the sizing operation and if so, how the heck does one fireform? Thanks ... Tom Purdom

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Tom,

I made 400 cases for my 6.5-'06 by necking up WW .25-'06 brass. This is an easy way to go.

I don't have a drawing for the .256 Newton case, so I am not exactly sure where the shoulder is as compared to the shoulder on the .25'-06. The .25-'06 case is 2.494" long, bu t the .256 Newton is 2.44" according to Cartridges of the World.

To fireform cases I generally use a moderate load of powder, and a cheap bullet seated long so that it is a jam fit in the lands to hold the case firmly in the chamber against the firing pin thrust.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tom, I also use moderate load to fire form. I have been useing IMR 4350 with Sierra 100 gr HP with good results. As far drawings are concerned the book "GUNSMITHING" by Roy F. Dunlap there were never any standards for Newton cartridges, so existing arms may not exactly agree with figures on drawings at neck and shoulder. So I'll give you the differences between the 270 Sierra drawing and Newton drawing I have - base of shoulder 270 = 0.441, 256 = 0.430 - length from base to shoulder 270 = 1.949, 256 = 1.894 and case length 270 = 2.540, 256 = 2.470,shoudler angle 270 = 17 deg 30 min, 256 = 23 deg. I checked my cases on a comparator to get the shoulder angle. I use my gun as a varmint gun but it does stabilize 140 gr. bullets with 1-10" twist. Dave

Posts: 20 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom: If your dies match your chamber reasonably well, then you really won't need to use a special fireforming load. Size the cases, whether from 25-06, 270, 30-06, or whatever, just enough to enter your gun's chamber with a bit of resistance when turning down the bolt handle (this is after trimming to proper length, of course). This way you'll be assured that the shoulder is in the right place and that headspace tolerance is at a minimum. Then go ahead and load your full-power load. I suspect that your accuracy and performance will be little, if any, different from subsequent loadings of the same brass.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tom, I just read on another site about useing a fast powder and cream of wheat for a filler they called it (COW). The site is called xtremeaccuracy then click on group therapy

Posts: 20 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote