New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Question W-571
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Had a guy cleaning out stuff and gave me about 6 pounds of W-571 winchester powder. I know it is used primarily in shotguns. I need to know if this powder has applications of pistols? Can I just look at a powder burn rate chart and use it accordingly?

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I still had 6# of this powder. It works very well in the higher pressure auto pistol calibers like 9mm, 40 S&W, and 10mm. burn rate is close to AA#7 . Acording to Hodgdons, W-571 & Hodgdons HS-7 are the same powder. You should be able to find some older Winchester data for W-571.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load w571 and HS-7 in the 357 mag, as near as I can tell they are the same powder. Likes a mag primer and firm crimp, works well with 158 gr bullets and over.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a great powder for hi velocity 20 gauge 1 or 1 1/8 oz loads. I've also used it in heavy revolver loads many years ago.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote