New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which non lead bullet is better
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am getting ready to reload for my 7mm and I live in C.A. and hunt the non lead zone. So I have to come up with somthing, this is the two I have came up with. 150 gr. Nosler E Tip, and Barnes 150 gr. Tipped TSX. Would like to know as much info on these as I can, I know the B.C. of the Nosler is higher, has anyone found these bullets after a kill and do they group good. If I can get one of these to shoot good I would like to make this gun some what of a long range gun, but have herd some info that some times at 500 + that the barnes don't open up because they are starting to slow down. What about the E Tip? Thanks any info. will be nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In preparation for a CA spring pig hunt last year I loaded both Nosler E tips and Barnes TSX for my 300WM. Both shoot good, but the Nosler shot just a little bit better, so I used them for the hunt. Shot two pigs one at 30yds an the other at 200 yds both were pass through and didn't recover either bullet. I think the performed fine since the pigs didn't complain and they dropped dead quickly.

Posts: 55 | Location: Gretna,NE | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider the Hornady GMX. It's Hornadys answer to the copper solid market. I've had good results on target, haven't shot any game with them yet.

These are 165 30 cal shot from my 300 WSM, into water filled milk jugs.

I think what you said about expansion at long range would hold true for any copper soild bullet. The GMX needs no less than 2,000 fps to begin expansion.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of the bullet after expansion allot better than the Barnes. The pedals fall off the Barnes under certain circumstances so I would be very interested to see what happens to te GMX when pushed at above optimum velocities.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizz, thanks for those great pictures of the mushroomed 165 GMX bullets. Those look like they performed quite well.

I recently tried the 165 GMX in a friend's 300 WSM that would not shoot the Barnes 168 or 180 TSX to our satisfaction. On the first trip to the range I was rewarded with repeatable 1/2 inch groups.

I now want to try them in my own 300 WSM. Heck, what I really want to do is try them on some game. Maybe a wild hog this spring.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same experience as R Flowers, the GMX shoots better out of my .300 WM than the Nosler or Barnes and kills pigs and coyotes plenty dead.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2825 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are 165 30 cal shot from my 300 WSM, into water filled milk jugs.

How many milk jugs did you use? Excellent mushroom!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of the GMX mushroom better than the barnes as well.

Does anyone have any onfo on what the operating range of the GMX is? At what velocity do they function/cease functioning?

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
GS Customs. They are building a plant in the US so supply will be assured soon for you guys. We have un-interupted supply in NZ. I get 3235fps from the 120gn in my 7x57 and superb accuracy. Thier effect on animals is devestating.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2688 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The boy and I have killed close to 20 moose with this old 7 mag over the years, 160 noslers, but partitions which has some lead. We always find the the bullet on inside of hide on back side; never comes out of the moose; never had any walk off either. The hide must go out 6 inches from inside, ha. Same bullets go right through a caribou.

Been loading Barnes triple X for 30-378, they go through caribou too.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Big Grin

The water jugs are arranged end-to-end @ 100 yds. Velocity was 3077 @ 15 feet. Penetration was 3 jugs, bullet was in the third jug with minimal damage to the third jug. The first jug is in 6 pieces, showing rapid initial expansion.

Those last two pics are from an earlier experiment with H. interbonds. Same set-up, same appearance to the first two jugs.

As for the lowest velocity at witch they will expand, IIRC Hornady has on their website somewhere the minimum velocity for initial expansion. I believe it was/is 2,000 fps. They certainly require more velocity than, say a SST or ballistic tip.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for the lowest velocity at witch they will expand, IIRC Hornady has on their website somewhere the minimum velocity for initial expansion. I believe it was/is 2,000 fps.

Thanks,
This is the problem with the barnes mono-metal design, imo, is that when you get out to the range that the lighter bullet is showing an advantage in trajectory, at 300-400yrds the bullet has slowed to the point of not functioning (2,200fps with the ttsx). With a cup and core bullet, you have more drop in trajectory, but better bullet upset beyond the range that the mono-metals will operate.

I'm specifically thinking of my .257R, and the 117grn cup and cores still seem the better choice for 300yrd+ shots, even though they hit 3" lower than a high stepping light barnes mono-metal.

If the GMX truly will openn down to 2,000fps, then it would give the shooter another 100yrds+/- of of effective use in a hunting situation, over the ttsx.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what are CA guys gonna do for 45/70 / 450 Marlin bullets?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by temmi:
So what are CA guys gonna do for 45/70 / 450 Marlin bullets?

Simple.....use solids!

I forgot the mfg but the NONCON bullets would be greeeeeeeeeat!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Simple.....use solids!

Not legally; the regs. say expanding bullet.

You also have to remember that you cannot hunt with just any lead-free bullet; there is a list of approved bullets and anything not on their list is a violation.

In testing expansion at 600 yards into wet clay I am getting expansion with the 150 TTSX out of 300 mags. I just tried the test this morning with a 130 TTSX out of a 270 and got no expansion. So magnums are a must for long range with the copper bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Corbon DPX 45-70 is 300 gr @ 1900 so obviously it's designed differently , more like the Barnes handgun bullets which open reliably at even lower velocities.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes MRX Bullet, it is expensive. The tungsten core is even denser than lead. For long range non-lead it is one of the very best choices because of it's high BC.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only used the Barnes TSX bullets in my .257 Robt. and .35 Whelen. Accuracy from the .257 was decent at 1.00 to 1.25" but the .35 really surprised me doing .50 to .75". Eeker
I haven't shot anything with the .257 Bob yet but I got on a cow elk a about 150 yards last December up by Raton New mexico and that 225 gr. Barnes bullet smacked that cow down so hard she bounced. Even my guide was surprised and how hard that bullet hit. She was runninf off quaterling slightly to the left when I shot. The bullet hit just behind the short ribs on the left side and came out between the neck and the shoulder on the right side. Internal damage was massive.
I recently bough a couple of boxes of the TSX in 120 gr. and 140 gr. weights to try in my 7x57 Mauser. I figue the 120's should work for deer and the 140's for deer and elk. Just depends on where I draw for elk.
I notice that some people complain a bit about the accuracy they get from those type bullets. Mt thoughts are if the rifle is a CONSISTANT 1.5" or less at 100 yards. it's more that accurate enough for deer and larger game well past where most of us should be shooting. The key word is "consistant". Tighter groups are strictly for ego stroking. Thatnkfully I have several ego stroking rifles. Wink dancing
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote