THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    338 Ultra.....Best and most useful of the new calibres??

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Ultra.....Best and most useful of the new calibres??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
338 Ultra.....Best and most useful of the new calibres??

I don't own one but I think it offers the most of all the new calibres. These are my reasons, what do you think.

If we leave out Wby and Lazzeroni calibres as they are not main stream, the 338 Ultra offers the 3100 plus with mid weight bullets (225 grain). This puts it into the 300 Winchester velocity braket whereas the 338 Win is only 30/06 level.

I think most people would agree that once you get around 3100 plus with the mid weight bullets you gain about the most practical trajectory. With the other bore sizes those ballistics were already available in the 270, 7mm Rem and 300 Win and as such the WSMs and 7mm Ultra and 300 Ultra do got get things into another league. On the other hand the 375 Ultra is still a sub 3000 f/s calibre.

So my vote is for the 338 Rem Ultra. A pity it does not come in a decnt rifles [Big Grin]

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I believe it to be the supreme platform from which to launch nice diameter,at very nice speeds,with amazing accuracy.

Further it is of modest enough length,you can poke it in most any action you wish. I firmly believe the chambering to be the total package..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the .375 Ultra? It would have dangerous game capability also. That would extend it's usefulness.

Last summer I was waiting at the range for my buddy to get there as he was a guest and not a member. He gets there an hour late and says that he had just got up. You could see that he looked sleepy. It seems that he had bronchitis.

Another friend there had just offered me his M 700 to shoot in .375 Ultra. I had declined as I was not interested in the rifle. Up walks this sleepy guy and we both foist the big Ultra on him. He is standing there offhand holding his left elbow against his chest in the classic target offhand position and aiming at 100 yds when I see that and tell him to stop and slide his hand forward on the forend.

So the rifle goes off and he rocks back. He is a pretty big guy at 6' and 190 and a Marine. His glasses are askew on his face and we chuckle.

Then we look for the bullet hole. It's right in the center, only 1" from being exact!

This proves that the .375 Ultra is more accurate. Just kidding, I just felt like telling the story.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<patriot>
posted
Received my 375 ultra a month ago, I could not be happier. S\S Remington first trip box of factory loads first group .46 second group .55. Next came Barnes 270X RL-19 and H4831, H4831 won 3 shots one very small hole. Changed my mind what this rifle was intended for, Elk on up from now on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike........I agree with your points . I also like the slightly shorter case of the .338 RUM which will be easier to fit into different actions .

I find that a Winchester push feed will hold three RUM dummies down and feed nicely from the magazine . So there is hope to house the cartridge in a "better" rifle . [Big Grin]

There are also alot of use M-70 Classics in 300 RUM showing up that should work nicely to rebarrel .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone got an opinion on .338 RUM vs. .338 Lapua for accuracy? Seems like a better choice for long-range shooting, as the guns are cheaper, and there are lots of RUM-calibered guns floating around to use as the base for a custom.

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mornin' Mike,
I agree with your points about the 338 UlTRA but as this case size, projectile weight is getting into the recoil area of the 340 WBY I imagine most shooters would have trouble handling the recoil .
I would want a Muzzle brake at all times which means if possible I would actually go for a larger case even though you mentioned to overlook these as not being main stream.[fair enough]

So for technical design ,performance great,practicallity,not so good.

All best,
Charlie

Posts: 87 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Adding a break,the recoil is like the 30-06.Fine gun to reload and you get fine accuracy.

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with most of what you have said, Mike. But there are other cartridges that with the same .33 bullets can be grouped right there with the .338RUM. Brass for the .338RUM is readily available, and the average RUM rifle is not as expensive as some of the .33's (Lapua, Lazzeroni, etc.), which is very desirable to most shooters. Besides, one can't deny the great SD .33 bullets offer.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike et.al.,

I also like the ballistics of the .338 Ultra and have been dreaming of one. I'd love to have Rifles Inc build me one. My concern is that it may not "catch on" and Remington will drop it just as they did to my 8mm mag. I'm always concerned about taking that gun on a distant hunting trip because if my ammo doesn't arrive I'm sunk.... but I love to shoot it and it just whacks everything it hits.

The .300 RUM is getting all of the press and the .338 seems to be missing in most of the discussions. Do you guys think the .338 RUM will be a runner?

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Iam more than a little impressed with what Ive read and heard about the .338 Ultra.
My 300RUM has really stole my heart.
The .338 Ultra may be the "best" all around Elk and Bear cartridge though...that statement is subject to debate..sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope that caliber will last;very fine rifle with a lot of assets,the remington 700 is not expensive,cases also,the rifle seems "accurate" mine is.One thing to consider is the recoil;adding a muzzle will reduce the recoil more or less than a 30-06.Noisy but not to hard a kicker...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I have both a custom .338 Lapua and a .338 RUM. The Lapua has better and Much more expensive brass, but the difference in accuaracy is negligible if one sorts and prepares the Rem brass properly. The .338 Rum can be driven faster in my rifles by about 100 fps. Impressive ballistics!-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote