New
Find
Notify
Tools

38-55 LOADS?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Are there any folks on this site that load for the 38-55? I want to find some loads for jacketed bullets and the only maker I find so far is Barnes...no problem with those folks just wondered if there was anything else out there. I cast my own 255 LRN but want to go to a condum bullet. Thanks, Phil

Posts: 215 | Location: NYS | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I reload for several different 38-55's of varing strength. My orginal Ballard uses black or AA 5744. My Browning high wall traditional Hunter and Ruger #1 can use 375 win brass and loads. What action do you want info for?

Posts: 73 | Location: Huron, Tn | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
You don't say what you're loading for. Keep the lead bullets and milder loads for those old actions. That said, try these jacketed loads.

Hornady 220g FP
AA 5744 23.5g 1600 fps
AA 2495 38.0g 2025 fps

Primers WLR in Win. Brass

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great stuff folks, thanks. Should have said what it was DUH! This is a new Marlin 336CB. I used it a few times for Cowby action long range, with a lee ww cast 255 LFN. Did ok at 150 yard gongs and such but the caliber intrigues me to the point where I want to go a little deeper. Really appreciate your info. Now I gotta go and read it all again and digest. Phil

one of us
posted Hide Post
Something was bothering me and I couldn't put a finger on it. Now it all comes rushing back. My Marlin slugs .3785 and that eliminates all the jacketed bullets made as they are .375. Don't think a jacketed bullet will upset enough to get a bearing on my bore. After looking over my loading books I see that I can drive a cast bullet damn near as fast as a condom type. Back to square one. Phil

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smoker:
Something was bothering me and I couldn't put a finger on it. Now it all comes rushing back. My Marlin slugs .3785 and that eliminates all the jacketed bullets made as they are .375. Don't think a jacketed bullet will upset enough to get a bearing on my bore. After looking over my loading books I see that I can drive a cast bullet damn near as fast as a condom type. Back to square one. Phil

Don't give up yet [Smile] . My Ruger slugs .3795. It was made "oversize" at the request of the cast bullet shooters assoc. Why they wanted it this size I don't know! Two possibilities - Barnes O's .377 version and Hawk bullets at .378. The Hawk's are really soft and seem to obturate oversize bores.

Posts: 73 | Location: Huron, Tn | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Barnes original comes in .375" AND .377".

Reloader 7 seems to be THE powder but several others do well for max effort loads.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
Smoker, i load for a Marlin also. I'm loading a .379 249gr. lead bullet over 21.5gr of XMP5744 with a win. primer in win. cases. It will shoot a 5 shot 1.5" group @ 100 yards with a Marbles peep sight @ 1500fps. [Smile]

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did any of you folks try the Barnes .377 in a oversize bore? I wonder if there would be enough upset to get obturation? I'm kinda ignorant as my only experience is with Cowboy stuff and casting .001 to .002 over bore size. I have no idea what a jacketed bullet will do???? Phil

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to marlintalk and do a search for Stonefence, and Boer bullets. Stonefence, makes an excellent jacketed bullet, I ordered 200 for my 38-55CB and they are .378 dia 250gn, he can make different weights. The boer bullets are 220gn and are correct dia for the 38-55. Mine shoots 1 moa with the 250s and 29.5 of RX7 from Stonefence. I did try 220gn hornadys .375 dia I was able to get them to stabilize but will not publish the load it took to get them to bump up as it was way overboard everything lighter would not stabilize. Stonefence is about half price of the barnes and a larger exposed frontal area, which is a better bullet for all velocities.

Posts: 56 | Location: Howard City, Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote