THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newby to reloading, and need som guidance.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tc98
posted
Just setting up to reload, and want to start reloading all of my bullets, and for friends and relatives when needed.

Got a good buddy that's been reloading for humpteen years, and has been alot of help getting set up. Really appreciate his help.

I went and bought some items before really looking into it, and may not have bought the best. My questions are concerning powders and primers mainly.

Hodgdon vs IMR etc.

Primers for 22-250,257 Roberts, and 7mm08 through 338-06 Ackley Imp. including 300WSM, and 6.5-284.

I bought CCI primers, and since have not heard alot of positive.

Just need a little kick start based on your experiences, and what brands of powders and which powders need to be stand by's that are always on my shelf.

This is a great site, and I really appreciate the sharing of knowledge etc.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to a great season and wish you all the best. coffee

Posts: 250 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I to have been loading unmteen years. I have had very good results with cci primers. I use mainly cci br2 primers, but have also used all the major brands. As for powders, I have had good results with IMR 4064, 4895, and others. RL 15 is also good for many calibers. IMR, Hodgdon, Alliant, and all the major brands are good. You just have to try several different combinations in each caliber to see what works best. That is the beauty of handloading (reloading), always looking and experimenting to see if you can make your firearms shoot better. It is a great lifetime hobby. Keep after it, you will be rewarded.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check some reloading manuals for powders for your calibers. I am currently working on a load for my 300 WSM. I am using IMR 4350 and Federal large magnum rifle primers. I have some loads with three out of four shot groups that are touching at 100 yards. I would stop there, but one of the four is off more than is acceptable to me. I am using 180 gr Nosler ABs. I will try more powders and different bullets. You have to keep experimenting to find the best combination. However, I always try a few factory loads first. If I get one that shoots to my satisfaction, I won't bother to reload.

One of Us
Picture of tc98
posted Hide Post
Have you guy's actually experienced any noticeable difference in primer brands?

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tc98:
Have you guy's actually experienced any noticeable difference in primer brands?

I`ve seen changes in extreem velocity spreads and at times a bit of change in accuracy with diffferent primers. This is normally when going from a std to mag primer or the other way around.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
I've been reloading for 24 years now and I can honestly say in the multi-thousands of primers I've used through the years, and I've used all regular brands and some odballs, that the biggest differences are pressure and how much powder gets burned.

These differences lead to accuracy (or a lack thereof) because of standard deviation and inconsistent ignition that leads to inconsistent recoil and gun vibrations.

All this being said, IMHO the primer is a very small part in the equation. For varmint rigs it can be important but for "minute of deer" accuracy and such nada. Stick with what the trusted recipes states.

As for the powder...that's like asking which is better Ford or Chevy. Everyone will give a different answer for a different reason and they are all valid.

Each gun is different in it's likes and dislikes, only trial and error bring out the truth. Double based powders are nice for hunting is the cold and heat.

This could go on forever, I would say congratulations to being initiated to the fine insanity of reloading. You will enjoy experimenting to no end and the satisfaction of rolling your own.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you standardize your loads using proper CCI primers, you shouldn't have any problems. As your friend will tell you, there are small rifle, small rifle magnums, large rifle, large rifle magnums. Each have a different application.
I don't know what bad you've heard about CCI primers but remember this, in cyberspace, you can mention Mother Theresa and SOMEBODY will have something trashy to say about her.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
want to start reloading all of my bullets, and for friends and relatives when needed.

Loading for friends and family is a great way to end up in court and in the poor house. Anything goes wrong and they get hurt, it's your fault.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing that is very helpful is to invest in several reloading manuals. It is sometimes a good idea to cross reference and compare data from several sources.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tc98, I always used cci primers thats because I was given about 2000 or so awhile back so I just kept using em. As for the powders, Ilook in reloading books to see what are the top powders for the specific cartridge to be loaded and buy em. Also it doesn't hurt to have powders you may not use for one particular cartridge. Someday your gonna get bored and you could work up loads with the powders you don't use that much.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another word of warning about being the village reloader. I would suggest sort of saying something on the order of "you buy the components and I'll help you reload them on my equipment." If they don't have the time, neither do you.
Components are expensive; liability suits are even more costly; and people can be quick to take advantage: "Yeah, I've known about the hunt for two months and didn't tell you but I need this ammo for tomorrow morning at 4am. And can you load some for a friend of a friend? You'll be able to work it around your kid's birthday party won't you?"

One of Us
Picture of tc98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
If you standardize your loads using proper CCI primers, you shouldn't have any problems. As your friend will tell you, there are small rifle, small rifle magnums, large rifle, large rifle magnums. Each have a different application.
I don't know what bad you've heard about CCI primers but remember this, in cyberspace, you can mention Mother Theresa and SOMEBODY will have something trashy to say about her.

Your right about the opinions, and cyberspace! Probably shouldn't be worried about primers, but when you buy 400 before you ever start reloading, makes you second guess yourself a little.

Thanks for the help!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a few comments about loading. Firstly, I would recommend that you get a number of reloading manuals as has been mentioned. When I initially begin looking for a load in a new rifle, I use an inexpensive bullet generally known for accuracy. Read Sierra or Hornady here. I then load the most accurate powder working up to the max. I usually don't pay much attention to primer used but I do seat the bullet to the OAL (better yet, the ogive) that is recommended in the book. I use the Hornady/Stoney Point "thingey" to measure to the ogive. This procedure will gives me a base from which to find the most accurate load.
As to reloading for others. I agree that it could be a can of worms you don't want to open. Two friends of mine have asked me to reload for them and I have refused citing the responsibility. I told them both that they could use my equipment but they had to get their own components, dies and shell holders. One, my moose hunting partner has done this and he plans on getting his own press, etc.
The second friend has a .358 Norma that was given to him along with dies. To date, he hasn't picked up either the shell holder, powder, primers, etc. to load for it. To be honest, he isn't really serious about it. His loss.
Just my thoughts. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC, you ain't serious about reloading until you start buying your primers in thousand(s)and your bullets in thousand(s) and your powder comes in kegs. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of tc98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
TC, you ain't serious about reloading until you start buying your primers in thousand(s)and your bullets in thousand(s) and your powder comes in kegs. Smiler

Your right, and with that being the case, I'm still in the thinkin about it stages. Smiler and there I was all concerned over a few hundred bullets and primers. I'll probably use those up in the first night when word gets out to the kin folks that I'm reloading! Eeker

I really am looking forward to a lot of fun with this.

Take Care Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC98, These guys are dead serious when suggesting you not reload for anyone other than yourself. You can't make any money and if there is a problem your "friend's" lawyer will want your blood.

Another point, most of us get into reloading for the economics and then notice we're shooting up the savings and having fun and enjoying the challenge of chasing the perfect load.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who can't even reload properly for himself.

We were at the range and he was blowing primers on his "pet load" he "developed".

He was out one day and even had one so over-charged he couldn't open his bolt after firing it. He pulled all the bullets, regrouped and loaded the ones that he now blows primers on.........He loaded 55.1 grains instead of 51.5........

Don't load for anybody else and before you load for yourself, start reading to learn the proper techniques.

One of Us
Picture of tc98
posted Hide Post
Obviously I have been a little to vague in discribing myself and my goals.

I have been around reloading all my life, and have sat through hundreds of rifle bullets and thousands of shot shells. I also used to reload all my own shot shells. As for reloading for friends and family. I'm only talking about getting together with one of my brothers and working up loads for our guns, or reloading a box once in a while for a close friend with him sitting with me in my shop. Not interested in making any money at it, or loading for anyone that is not on my blood brother list. Big Grin I have probably 5 loading manuals now, and do have a very close friend that is a very experienced reloader to watch over my shoulder. I have actually reloaded some bullets with him on several occasions.

All that being said, I really appreciate all the comments and words of wisdom offered here. Even though some are things I already know, it never hurts to hear them again, and to rethink stuff that may be "old hat" to some.

On the primer question, I really was just curious as to which brand most of you typically buy when buying primers?

Thanks again,

TC Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All that being said, I really appreciate all the comments and words of wisdom offered here. Even though some are things I already know, it never hurts to hear them again, and to rethink stuff that may be "old hat" to some.

Ever had anything trashy to say about Mother Theresa?

One of Us
Picture of tc98
posted Hide Post
No Sir!

I really do appreciate all the help and guidance on this site.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No Sir!

yuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
tc, I think the powders you have are just great, some of the premier powders in the biz. I prefer CCI primers over others. Have used em all. The only primers I have ever had issues with were Federals--I still like Feds OK though, I think if you load enough, you can get a box with a few bad ones, I had about 15 loads not go bang with Fed LR match primers a few years back, and it was at the range with controlled conditions, on a load I knew worked already--I now shoot a decent sample of every box of primers I open before committing them to hunting loads.

I would guess there are folks who have had no problems ever with a primer, folks who have with this brand or that, and maybe even some who have had a problem with several different types, as many folks as do this, I think that there has to be some of all of these experiences, one thing that led me to really like CCI stuff is that they have always supported the reloader--read a Speer reloading manual sometime and you can see the story.....

You are off to a good 'pre-start'....GET GOING!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote