Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.222 loads
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering if some of yall could pass along a few loads for a .222.

Posts: 1 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest you get some Sierra or Berger 52gr HPs for a start.
A lot of powders work well for this caliber, IMR4198 (20.5grs), IMR4895 (23.5grs), VV133(22grs) and many others. You probably will do best if your bullets come out of the barrel at about 3000fps. You'll have to experiment a bit to find your best OAL.
Some bullets prefer to be at the lands, some prefer a jump. Each rifle seems to be different regarding this. The .222Rem. is quite accurate in most rifles, and not particularly finicky about bullets and powder. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most .222 Rems are made with a 1-14" twist, that probably limits you to bullets at or below 55 grs. As Cal suggested, the Sierra 52 grs HPBT Match is a classic - as is its cousin, the 53 grs HP (FB) Match. A lot of people prefer FB bullets at shorter range.Other bullets that usually give excellent results are Nosler Ballistic Tips and Hornady V-Max. Naturally, the ultimate accuracy bullets are all the custom products from Bart, Fowler, Cheek etc etc.

I personally use VV N130 and N133 for my .222 loads. These powders burn quite cleanly, and I can get them at a somewhat lower price here in Europe.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote